Messed up grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stucci62

Reaction score
So, we were brewing yesterday and I think we have a really jacked up brew now. The grain bill was to be as follows.

9lbs Maris Otter
2lbs 8oz Flaked Maize
1lb Crystal 80
.75oz Roasted Barley
.5oz Chocolate Malt

When acquiring our grain on Saturday and in a moment of complete stupidity we purchased and in turn used 5lbs of Chocolate Malt!

The wort smells awesome but I am wondering if this will even be drinkable.

The hops used were 8.25oz Fuggles for 60min and 1.25oz EKG for 15 min.

any thoughts??
:confused::eek:

Sounds like it will be chocolatey.

Drinkable is up to the drinker. It might be great, might be terrible. Let it go and see what happens!

I just did something similar converting pounds to kg. From a recipe for an IPA I got off this forum; it called for 1 pound of Crystal 20 (out of a total 18 pound grain bill brewing 5.5 gal). I "converted" this to 1 kg (2.2 pounds) like a total idiot. While not as dramatic as your error, which is very impressive I must say, I still screwed it up.

The beer is fermenting away nicely and the wort tastes great so maybe I'll escape this one. Good luck to you!

What was your og? Your abv is probably going to be higher too..

Better to wait and see than to preemptively dump.

"The hops used were 8.25oz Fuggles for 60min and 1.25oz EKG for 15 min."

i'd be almost more concerned with your IBU's from the 8.25oz of fuggles for 60 min. thats going to be an "interesting" beer.

5oz. chocolate malt instead of 0.5oz? No biggie. Glad the 5 lb. was a typo. You've created a robust porter. More alarming to me is the 8.5oz. Fuggles at 60 min. Did you figure out the IBUs? It'll be massively bitter. I'm hoping the 8.5 was a typo as well.

5oz. chocolate malt instead of 0.5oz? No biggie. Glad the 5 lb. was a typo. You've created a robust porter. More alarming to me is the 8.5oz. Fuggles at 60 min. Did you figure out the IBUs? It'll be massively bitter. I'm hoping the 8.5 was a typo as well.

Jim, the 5lb is correct! OG was 1.110 and the ibu's are roughly 129

Uh... Yeah, I read that wrong the first time.

What you meant is that the bill called for 5oz (there was a typo that said .5oz, but the corrected bill is 5oz).

You used 5 POUNDS of Chocolate malt...

Well, it will probably be as dark as night, and taste like burnt chocolate.

How did you get it to mash out to 1.110? You'd have to be running at like 97% efficiency to hit that OG, unless my math serves me wrong. Please, tell me thine secrets!

Yeah what was the aa on the Hops. Historically Porters were very heavily hopped. Dont know if that grain bill equals a porter sans error, because when i want to brew a porter i find a killer recipe and pay no attention whats in it just get it and mash it. If that was Columbus like my friend just did I would probably tell you to dump it. Depending on the aa on the fuggles I've seen historical ipa recipes that call for 15oz at 60. Ya know i have always wondered what a dump truck of choc. Would taste like please do tell. It's plausible the over hopiness and bitterness could either balance out or work negatively together I'm hoping for a awesome Black IPA

I may be mistaken, but there are many stout recipes that calculate out to 200+ IBUs and they taste balanced. So I'd agree, a porter that heavy might be pushing it, but it's not that far out of the question.

Looking through my recipe logs, I have an Espresso Stout that clocks in at 113 IBUs with 2.5oz 13%AA Chinook @ 60, 2oz 5.5%AA Willamette @ 5, and 1.5oz 13%AA Chinook @ 5. It's one of the best beers I've ever brewed, and may arguably be in my top 3 of Espresso Stouts.

Back