Mesquite Smoked Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Going over beers I'm intrigued by but haven't brewed I came across smoked beer. I love to BBQ and checked out what to do. I use mostly oak with a bit of mesquite and hickory. What I read about all three of these woods is that they are strong and to go lighter on the amount of grain.

Duration also was important (20-60 mins). If it is indeed powerful I figured I'd do 30 mins. I'd do this once smoking my food was completed and the fire was dying to reduce the heat.

I also read that soaking the wood in water and allowing to dry was ideal. I used to do this with my smaller pieces but didn't notice it worthwhile.

So what exactly is lighter? I'd want the smoke character to be upfront but not like licking charcoal as I found out when smoking rabbit on just mesquite. This would be for a 5.25 gal batch, though I'd start with a 2.5-3 gal test batch.

Then there is the backbone. Almost seems more appropriate to be a darker beer.

I just did a Mesquite smoke pineapple version of my Leff Blonde clone where I smoked two sliced pineapples with mesquite. It was an interesting beer, and something I still want to play with. So of course seeing ANYTHING with mentioning mesquite caught my eye.

One of the things I'm going to try with the next iteration of this beer in a couple months, is to cold smoke the pineapple. I wonder if cold smoking the grain would make it mellower and less like licking charcoal?

God, you smoked rabbit over mesquite? I think I'm in danger of shorting out my keyboard with the drool that's coming out of my mouth now.

I've since lost the appetite for nothing but mesquite when I smoke. I use large pieces of oak along with small pieces of mesquite and hickory. That works quite well with white meats such as turkey and chicken. I always do Thanksgiving! Next time I get rabbit...

I BBQ a lot too and I like mesquite. But I like to pair meats with certain smoke.

I'd personally have doubts as to using mesquite with beer. It has such a distinctive flavor that I think it would remind you too much of BBQ.

If you've had Rauchbier and like it, I'd say go for it, but I'd do a small batch just in case it was horrible.

If you haven't had Rauchbier and want to try it, order some Rauchmalz and try your hand at that first. It's Beechwood smoked, which is traditional German.

I love Rauchbier, particulary Aecht Schenkerla's Maerzen and their Ur-bock. Delicious. I made a "pilgrimage" to Bamberg once just to eat at their Brauhaus. Best dinner, hands-down, that I ever had in Germany.

FYI, I've brewed Jamil's Rauchbier and Smoked Porter recipes. The porter was particularly tasty, but those both use Beech malt if I remember correctly. At least, that's what I used. Jamil's Rauchbier recipe discusses how much Rauchmalz to start with, too.

Austin Homebrew has a Texas Independence Pale Ale (very limited release) that has smoked mesquite malts in it. I added to the hops and have it fermenting now but this is the original mini mash recipe but is offered in full grain too:

the malts are from the Texas malt company called blacklands:

1 lb mesquite smoked 2 row
1.5 lbs pale moon 2 row
1 lb crystal
8 oz honey malt

Sugars:
5 lbs extra pale extract
1 lb Texas wildflower honey

Hops:
1.25 Amarillo bittering
1 oz Amarillo aroma
3/4 oz Amarillo dry hop

1.055 OG 1.01 FG

Here's what blacklands says about their smoked malts:

We offer any of our base malts smoked with the wood of your choice!
Our malt is cold smoked, to retain full enzyme activity as a base malt, and lock in an incredible pungent smoked character. Many choices of wood and malt are available to create unique combinations.
200¢ per lb
Wood Characters:
Mesquite: Texas Brisket
Oak: Classic Campfire
Birch: Pine & Resin
Cherry: Sweet & Spicy
Apple: Sweet & Clean

I brewed the All Grain version of the Austin Homebrew Independence Pale Ale today. I have to admit that the smoke aroma from the mash and boil was pretty intense. I forgot that the recipe had smoked grains. I'm hoping it will pair well with barbecue or other grilled food.

I'll report back when its ready to drink.

I brewed the All Grain version of the Austin Homebrew Independence Pale Ale today. I have to admit that the smoke aroma from the mash and boil was pretty intense. I forgot that the recipe had smoked grains. I'm hoping it will pair well with barbecue or other grilled food.

I'll report back when its ready to drink.

I actually didn't think it was that intense. I did the mini mash but still for an hour I'm mashing them 5 lbs or so and it didn't seem too bad to me. However I Bbq all the time, a lot with mesquite so maybe my senses were dulled

I actually didn't think it was that intense. I did the mini mash but still for an hour I'm mashing them 5 lbs or so and it didn't seem too bad to me. However I Bbq all the time, a lot with mesquite so maybe my senses were dulled

That is the problem with smoked grains, peoples perceive the flavor/aroma/intensity differently. I have used 1lb of Alder smoked malt in an imperial stout that was not very intense. That was a dark beer though.

I think part of the problem was that I forgot the recipe had smoked grains so I was confused by the intense aroma I was picking up.

Does anyone know the threshold for cool smoking?

And what exactly happens if you are a bit hot?

Lol well hickory is very close to mesquite smoke so.....

I find hickory/mesquite to be night/day flovors.
The `simularity` is what foods they go well with. (all types of BBQ)
Mesquite flavor imho is very unique & while it's not bad,my personal prefference is hickory in most smoking applications.

Has anyone here had experience smoking their grains?
Pics? Smoking temps and for how long?
I might just hit up one of the BBQ places in town and see if they might throw in a bag of grain whenever they slow smoke their next batch of ribs/brisket.

I don't know the threshhold, but generally you'd want the meat (grains) to be completely away from the heat. I've seen webpages that say you could put the meat (grains) into a cardboard box and somehow divert the smoke from the smoker into the box. I guess it depends on the smoker setup. Maybe use a dryer duct or something.

I think you still have to have proper venting in the box to avoid creosote buildup on your grains though.

So my Texas Independence Pale Ale is ready to drink and I have had it two times. I have to say that the smoked flavor is very subdued and hidden which I like. You almost have to concentrate to find it but it is definitely there. To me I get smoke and then some immediate sweetness which I'm not sure if it is from the smoked malt or the Amarillo hops. I will say that this beer is best when drinking it with food. Obviously food from the grill is best.

Austin Homebrew calls it a pale ale but I think because of the smoked malt and crystal and honey malt it is more malt forward than a traditional pale ale. Anyway it will be my go to beer anytime we are grilling. I guess I'll have to do some take out BBQ also!

Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.99%
IBU (tinseth): 36
SRM (morey): 10.14

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - American - Pale Ale (68.2%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (9.1%)
1 lb - American - Smoked Malt (9.1%)
0.5 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (4.5%)
1 lb - Honey - (late addition) (9.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.01
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.98
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.7, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5 gal, Strike Temp 158
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2 gal, Dunk Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirl flock, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 each - yeast Nutrient, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 78%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

IMG_5602.jpg

So my Texas Independence Pale Ale is ready to drink

That's awesome man, you'll find this funny but I brewed the Texas Independence pale ale about the same time as you but mine has only one 250mL bottle left! Mine is hopped up though so my review would be much different. It went that fast! Of course I force carbed and it came much quicker. However I found these last few bottles were infinitely better than when it was so new.

I agree, the color, aroma, and subtle sweet smokey flavor was pretty freaking awesome!

Back