Mercury contactor vs. SSR

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

burglar

Reaction score
This will be my first in a long line of questions for my build.

I see that almost everyone uses SSRs to control their elements. At my work we use mercury contactors quite often because of their long life.

As a mechanically minded guy, I'd feel safer using one of these over an SSR. Any reason not to use one?

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get them with low voltage DC coils, then they should work fine and a PID could control it exactly like they control SSRs.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Sorr y for being devils advocate, but won't they wear out being switched so frequently? Also, wouldn't the sound get annoying? It seems most people around here use a combination of the two to keep things safe.

stevehaun

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My PID is set up on 1 sec cycles. I don't think a contactor would last very long being switched once a second. I use contactors for a hard on/off and SSRs for control.

ClaudiusB

Reaction score
My PID is set up on 1 sec cycles. I don't think a contactor would last very long being switched once a second. I use contactors for a hard on/off and SSRs for control.
1 sec cycle time does not mean the PID is continuously switching ON/OFF every second.

gunner65 said:
We use them in our lab for high voltage lightning surges. For brewing simple I would stick with an SSR.
I have used them on molding machines and the single and dual coil versions I have start at $85.00.
The SSR is a better choice for us hombrewers, cheaper and not so bulky.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Hermit

fuddle
Reaction score
1 sec cycle time does not mean the PID is continuously switching ON/OFF every second.
You want to maintain a steady boil. I do stove top. If I turn my control down to 90% the off cycle is noticeable. A one second duty cycle is reasonable. Think 50% to 70% power depending on element size and boil size. You would be turning off once a second. I have NO idea on your design parameters. Just throwing this into the thought process.

OP
B

burglar

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm looking at the manual for the Auber and it reccomends a 2 second cycle time for an SSR and a minimum of 20 seconds for a mercury relay on manual mode. Big difference!

The SSR will give me much finer control of the boil.

Lesson learned: don't try and reinvent the wheel.

stevehaun

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When I run my PID in manual mode, SSRs switch on/off once a second. I have it set up on a one second cycle. If I run on 90% power, the SSR is "on" for 0.9 sec and "off" for 0.1 sec. If I run my PID on anything longer than a 2 sec cycle, I can see the boil surge and stop when the SSR is "on" and "off". If I run the PID to control to a defined temp, then the SSRs do not switch on/off once a second.