Melted plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I turned on the wrong burner on my electric stove and walked out of the kitchen for two seconds. When I stepped back in there was a raging fire on my stovetop--my kettle lids, which are covered with reflectex insulation, were sitting on the burner and caught on fire! Having just watched a TV show where someone's kitchen burned down due to a cooking fire, I panicked, and grabbed the lids with my hands and threw them in the sink. Let this be a lesson--don't be a slob, and keep a fire extinguisher in the house--my hand is covered in second degree burns.

Anyways, the reflectex melted all over my lids. I scrubbed them off and they seem to be OK now, just very darkened, but they don't have any plastic caked on, and they don't smell like plastic. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use them to brew tomorrow?

Sucks man, im very sorry. I've been in a similar place, but not had burns. So I guess I really can't relate. But I suppose there's no reason not to use them, I don't see how it could impart any negative flavors, but it seems like you could maybe work without them if necessary. Just do what you gotta do to brew!! (Just made that up, I think its my new motto)

Glad to hear it wasn't worse. I burned down my kitchen a few years ago trying to fry some okra. Fortunately there were no injuries other than a hint of a burn on my thumb.

Why are you using lids at all? You shouldn't have the lid on during the boil anyway. Are you doing BIAB?

Just to get to boil temp. I'm just gonna use them, and hopefully no one gets poisoned.

Back