Meh-- first tiem for everything: forgot finishing hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
Figures-- usually I brew when I'm alone in the house. Yesterday a friend stopped by with a 12 pack to hang out while I brewed. Naturally this morning when I walk through the kitchen I notice that the finishing hops are still sitting on the spice shelf.

Usually I'm not standing around answering questions about what's going on while I'm brewing which, as I recall now, he had a lot of questions towards the end of the boil and I'm sure I was explaining sanitation, fernmentation or yeast lifecycles to right around the time I should have been adding the finish hops.

1/2 lb specialty grains steeped for a half hour at 160
6 lbs gold LME and 1 oz Cascade hop pellets for a one hour boil
Forgot the couple minutes of finishing hops.
Wyeast 1056

Toss them in the secondary, it will be a little different, but if the finishing hops is also cascades, not much. Better the finishing hops than the bittering!

yeah-- they'll end up in the secondary. I'm going to play around with one of the recipe calculators to figure out how much I want to add and when.

Nah-- mostly lamenting the operator headspace error than anything. That's why I like to brew alone-- no distractions.

Like I said, if it cascades, it won't matter.

Personally, I miss my brewing partner. Every batch was an adventure, with grilled sausages!

Yeah-- little matter but an excuse to tinker with the programs anyway. : )

Other than my father, I never had a brew partner and I find I actually enjoy the time alone. In fact I really like it when Jennifer isn't home and I can just hang out with the dog and brew beer. No interrruptions, no distractions. Just me, the dog (who strangely loves eating the steeped barley) and the beer.

Maybe it's cause I'm so social most of the time that the occasional 'alone time' doing something I enjoy is apprciated more.

kornkob said:
yeah-- they'll end up in the secondary. I'm going to play around with one of the recipe calculators to figure out how much I want to add and when.

You can look at all the beer recipe programs and calculators that you want--but adding hops to the secondary isn't going to do anything for your IBUs (if that is what you are concerened with). What is done is done. If you add hops now, all you'll get is some aroma and some flavor, because you are essentially dry-hopping at this point.

To get IBUs from the hops, they have to be boiled.

Back