Megapot 1.2 vs Megapot....what's the difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbr549

Reaction score
I see the 15 gallon Megapot undrilled for $254.99 (says 304 s.s. in the description)
Then I see the Megapot 1.2 undrilled for $199.00 on sale for $99.95

I can't seem to tell what the difference is between the two kettles. ???

I wrote Northern Brewer and they replied:
The new model is entirely 304 Stainless, the previous model used 400 series and 200 series stainless.

The 1.2 is its height to diameter ratio, no? Do both have the same ratio? That would affect boil-off, etc.

ETA: They both appear to have the 1:1.2 ratio.

At the hobby level, I doubt that will ever notice a difference. The big question, is the newer version worth the extra money to you?
I've got a ten gallon Megapot 1.2 with a drilled port and stainless ball valve. Makes the transfer to the fermenter much easier. Never had much luck with a siphon (maybe because all I ever had was cheap junky ones?). You can always drill it yourself at a later date if desired. Lot us know what you choose and how it works for you.

The 1.2 is its height to diameter ratio, no? Do both have the same ratio? That would affect boil-off, etc.

ETA: They both appear to have the 1:1.2 ratio.
From what I remember it was advertised at some point as the thickness of the stainless, 1.2 mm.

Scrap that, I looked it up, here are some of the advertised features:
  • The 1.2™ proportion of MegaPot has been scientifically designed
  • Wall Thickness: 1 mm
  • The heart of the kettle is a 4mm thick Tri-Clad bottom- made specifically for even heat distribution.
The thick, tri-clad bottom is always a positive asset, helps to prevent scorching.
If you'd ever consider using an induction plate, make sure the kettle is induction ready.

Last edited:
From what I remember it was advertised as the thickness of the stainless, 1.2 mm.

10 Gal MegaPot Brew Kettle Specs:

• 304 Stainless Steel.
  • Silicone handles.
  • Reinforce rolled lip.
  • Graduated volume markings.
  • 10 gallons (40 quarts / 37.8 liters)
  • Diameter by Height: 14.1" x 16.3" [1:1.16]DB
  • Wall Thickness: 0.8mm

30 Gal. MegaPot Brew Kettle Specs:​

• 304 Stainless Steel.
  • Silicone handles.
  • Reinforce rolled lip.
  • Graduated volume markings.
  • 30 gallons (120 quarts / 113.5 liters)
  • Diameter by Height: 19.7" x 23.2" [1:1.18]DB
  • Wall Thickness: 1 mm
  • Ball Valve: SS 1/2" NPT w/ 1/2" Barbed for 3/8" or 1/2" ID Tubing

Back