Megapot 1.2 vs. Blichman G2 (2017 Version)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwshields

Reaction score
Hey,

I saw an old thread discussing this, but it was nearly 5 years ago so I thought it was a good time to revive this topic. What prompted to post today is that Midwest Supplies is offering 20% site-wide.

What this boils down to (pun intended) is that I can get The Megapot setup (HLT + MT + Sparge Arm + False bottom) for 600 after the 20% off.

The Blichman stuff is not included in the 20% off, so just the MT I am looking at 600 (MT + False Bottom). This doesn't include a sparge arm. The HLT tank from Blichman will be around 460. I would then also want to buy a sparge arm, which is roughly 7 bucks. So the comparable system all in would be roughly 1070; >40% more.

To add in a boil kettle from Megapot would add 290; Blichman would add 470. The all in costs of the 3 part systems would be 890 vs. 1570; nearly double the cost.

Is my comparison of these two systems fair? Am I making Are the conveniences of the Blichman products really worth nearly double the cost?

I'm sure the blichman products are wonderful, since your asking the question I would suggest the megapot.

Big $ premium tuff to justify for me...

That's over 60% more. I dunno, I've never used blichmanns, but they are pretty nice. Personally I couldn't justify the difference. Question- are there additional fitittngs and such you need to add to the megapots? Even so it likely wouldn't come near the price.
I just pulled the trigger on 3 new spikes. While not cheap, they are noticeably less than blichman. I think functionally the megapots would be really good.

There are quite a few megapots being by used by others around here, and I honestly think they are really nice kettles (puts my Bayou Classic to shame) and outside of a welded coupling I can't think of anything they really lack.

Buyer beware! I took advantage of a similar sale by Northern Brewer and purchased a megapot 10 gallon. I am on my second exchange do to pitting defects, dents, and very deep dark scratches inside the kettle. Apparently it is a known issue as a search for "megapot defect " in google reveals. I wish I would've done a little more research. Their QC is definitely lacking and now I am in the hunt again for a brew kettle. Although Northen Brewer has been very responsive I feel it is a complete lack of respect to know about an issue and continue to push the product on to the consumer.

I'll add if you are in the market for a megapot, check out the SS brewtech standard kettle. Love mine.

After speaking to Northern Brewer again, they are aware of the issue by the generous offer they threw at me, however they did not want to hear about how customers cannot be bribed into accepting a lower quality item. I told them to stick their offer and give me back my money. They were happy to comply. 🙄
I went ahead and purchased a Spike kettle. Should be here monday, its supposed to be top quality.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. My spikes are very nice, and the customer service is exceptional.

After speaking to Northern Brewer again, they are aware of the issue by the generous offer they threw at me, however they did not want to hear about how customers cannot be bribed into accepting a lower quality item. I told them to stick their offer and give me back my money. They were happy to comply. 🙄
I went ahead and purchased a Spike kettle. Should be here monday, its supposed to be top quality.

Update: The first kettle Spike sent had a deep dent that punched through the nice stainless finish on the inside wall. I was very disappointed and thought to myself "here we go again". Contacted them and and they promptly sent a new one. This time it was perfect! And i must say their product is top quality. Finally i can get on with my brewing!

Update: The first kettle Spike sent had a deep dent that punched through the nice stainless finish on the inside wall. I was very disappointed and thought to myself "here we go again". Contacted them and and they promptly sent a new one. This time it was perfect! And i must say their product is View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1493399124.941798.jpgtop quality. Finally i can get on with my brewing!

I've had Blichmann V1s for a while and they're built to last... I saw a V2 in my LHBS a few weeks back, and to be honest, even if you disregard the less-blingy, brushed finish, they really seem to feel "cheaper" than the V1s; they just don't feel as "substantial" - maybe the thickness of the stainless isn't as thick as the V1s.

Buyer beware! I took advantage of a similar sale by Northern Brewer and purchased a megapot 10 gallon. I am on my second exchange do to pitting defects, dents, and very deep dark scratches inside the kettle. Apparently it is a known issue as a search for "megapot defect " in google reveals. I wish I would've done a little more research. Their QC is definitely lacking and now I am in the hunt again for a brew kettle. Although Northen Brewer has been very responsive I feel it is a complete lack of respect to know about an issue and continue to push the product on to the consumer.

I am not attempting to suggest Blichmann...that's the reader's choice not mine. But rest assured they don't let second quality defects go out to distributors and consumers. Blichmann has a scratch and dent section on their site where they will sell consumer direct. I was interested in a 15G kettle (G2 Series) listed as a minor defect. The "defect" was a tiny set of scratches inside the kettle where the dip tube valve was installed. It took a hard look to find the defect but it knocked $100 off the price. Whether you like Blichmann or not, my point is how seriously they take quality control.

Back