Megamouth Torpedo Ball Lock Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

bluelaker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi! Guys,

There are newest megamouth ball lock kegs at www.morebeer.com

Megamouth Torpedo Ball Lock Kegs | MoreBeer

McMullan

wort maker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good for pressure fermentation and conditioning naturally. What I'd really like to see, though, is a 3 or 4" TC ferrule on top. Just because it offers more options when used for fermentation mainly.

Edit: And maybe an additional ball-lock post, just in case. And one or two small (0.5" or 0.75") TC ferrules for fitting a blow-off tube, thermowell, etc. The 'Torpedo Kegmenter'. I like it

Last edited:

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where these might be more optimal in terms of dispensing. Two 5 gallons stacked are about 0.3" too tall in my 7 cu ft freezer which has a 2x8 collar. I can't quite fit four ball locks on my keezer floor, only 3. I can't say whether I could fit 3 of these new ones there. I wouldn't want to be stacking five gallons though in a tall keezer as would be needed for that if a 2x10 was used. Might be a game changer for refrigerators though as two 5 gallons stacked might allow a total of four. When I had a fridge for my kegs, I could only fit 2 on the floor. It is much easier to get kegs in and out of a refrigerator. I have a square cooler that my 3 gallons won't quite sit in, so maybe the 3 gallon would fit something like that as well. The difference in height between the 3 gallon of this new style vs Torpedos 2.5 gallon is 1.35". Maybe a big rectangular cooler could possibly fit two.

OP
OP
B

bluelaker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where these might be more optimal in terms of dispensing. Two 5 gallons stacked are about 0.3" too tall in my 7 cu ft freezer which has a 2x8 collar. I can't quite fit four ball locks on my keezer floor, only 3. I can't say whether I could fit 3 of these new ones there. I wouldn't want to be stacking five gallons though in a tall keezer as would be needed for that if a 2x10 was used. Might be a game changer for refrigerators though as two 5 gallons stacked might allow a total of four. When I had a fridge for my kegs, I could only fit 2 on the floor. It is much easier to get kegs in and out of a refrigerator. I have a square cooler that my 3 gallons won't quite sit in, so maybe the 3 gallon would fit something like that as well. The difference in height between the 3 gallon of this new style vs Torpedos 2.5 gallon is 1.35". Maybe a big rectangular cooler could possibly fit two.

OP
OP
B

bluelaker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I know,there is a style kegerator which can hold 2pcs 10 gallon megamouth Torpedo ball lock keg.
Maybe this kegerator will be sold in American market at the beginning of 2023:)

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Megamouth Torpedo Ball Lock Kegs | MoreBeer

For a fermenter, I would have loved to see something like that at least in the 6.5 gallon size. I wonder how much the 6 gallon one can actually hold. I have some of the 10L / 2.6 gallon Torpedo kegs, and right up to the rim is close to 2.9 gallons, with a little less than that to the bottom of the gas post. I have heard that the slim-line kegs are a bit undersized (they don't actually hold as much volume as they are labeled as).

The 7.6 gal Kegmentor is more expensive and I don't think the shape would fit into my chest freezer.

OP
OP
B

bluelaker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are 6.5 gallon Torpedo keg and megamouth keg,but Morebeer does not sell this volume keg ,
you may tell their customer sevice you like 6.5 gallon keg,then maybe they will consider to sell
6.5 gallon keg.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are 6.5 gallon Torpedo keg and megamouth keg,but Morebeer does not sell this volume keg ,
you may tell their customer sevice you like 6.5 gallon keg,then maybe they will consider to sell
6.5 gallon keg.

Honestly, I am pretty happy with my 7 gallon Fermonster fermenter, but I do look at the 7 gallon Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket as a potential upgrade to stainless. The price, form factor and easier cleaning of this keg makes it a bit tempting. I do agree that some type of a port in the lid would be helpful as a fermenter.

Though every time I look closer at kegs > 5 gallons, I tend to think that I would be better off just adjusting my batch size a bit and using one of the 5 gallon kegs that I already have.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much the 6 gallon one can actually hold.
I have one of the standard lid 6.1gal torpedo kegs. Fantastic fermenter, all I use.

Can fill 23L at right around gas post height.

I drop 21L wort in to ferment, have 2L-ish headspace and end up with 19L into serving keg.

These megamouth versions are also 23L so I would expect similar results.

EDIT: 21L on my keg is riiiiight up to the weld line where the top attaches to the cylinder.

Last edited: