medical oxygen cylinders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm still shopping for an oxygen system for my wort. The "regulators" for the disposable cylinders are now $20 - seems like too much for a simple valve. I think I would save money in the long run by getting a more permanent system, although I don't need a welding tank (220 cf or whatever they are)

So I found this listing on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1202

Would this work for me? Do you get these cylinders refilled, or swap the empty for a full one? Do I need a prescription, or can I just explain what I plan to do with the oxygen?

Find a local welding supply place and see about buying/renting a smaller bottle from them. If you rent, you usually can just swap out cylinders. I own 4 of the large welding H tanks myself for glass art. So I always have plenty of O2 available.

Depending on your location you may well indeed run into the prescription problem getting O2 for medical cylinders. Get a small welding o2 tank instead, you don't need 125cf, a 20cf will last forever if you're just aerating. And you can pick up used regulators on ebay for $10, good quality ones too.

Find a local welding supply place and see about buying/renting a smaller bottle from them. If you rent, you usually can just swap out cylinders. I own 4 of the large welding H tanks myself for glass art. So I always have plenty of O2 available.

Last time I talked to Airgas (about CO2, not oxygen) they told me they don't sell any cylinders, just swap empty ones for full ones. I've seen some empty welding bottles for sale on craigslist, but they're way too big for my needs

Oxygen is not a drug, but medical grade does have to meet certain purity restrictions, so not everyone may fill it. Just call up Airgas, or Prax, or the name on the bottle, and ask. This would have been part of their home care business. It's also possible they want their cylinder back.

I went to a gas supply place a couple weeks ago asking about this. They had a 60 cf cylinder for $125, and a 20 for about $100. The reg they were selling was about $110. At this point this is more than I want to spend.

There's no reason for medical grade for oxygenating wort is there? Are there multiple grades below medical such that any should be excluded?

I went to a gas supply place a couple weeks ago asking about this. They had a 60 cf cylinder for $125, and a 20 for about $100. The reg they were selling was about $110. At this point this is more than I want to spend.

There's no reason for medical grade for oxygenating wort is there? Are there multiple grades below medical such that any should be excluded?

You will be fine with any grade of O2.

I used to work for a place similar to AirGas called NexAir. The O2 going into the industrial/welding tanks comes from the same bulk tank as the medical. The only difference being the medical tanks are supplied with a certificate proving the purity. The reason behind this is that it's just not cost effective to have separate bulk tanks. Just have one bulk tank (i'm talking huge here) and fill both types of O2 from that tank. The purity is the same for both, one just comes with proof.

Oxygen is not a drug, but medical grade does have to meet certain purity restrictions, so not everyone may fill it. Just call up Airgas, or Prax, or the name on the bottle, and ask. This would have been part of their home care business. It's also possible they want their cylinder back.

This is incorrect. Supplemental oxygen is considered a drug by the medical community and by all insurers.

Pez.

I work for a Medical Oxygen supply company and Oxygen is considered a drug by the FDA, therefore you must have an Rx for oxygen.
We have people come in that want to get an oxygen cylinder, and we legally can not give them out without an Rx

We only distributed medical oxygen to dentists/doctors/hospitals and also to home medical supply companies. Never to a retail customer.
Probably has something to do with its intended use is for human consumption/ingestion which usually has stipulations.

SevenFields said:
I work for a Medical Oxygen supply company and Oxygen is considered a drug by the FDA, therefore you must have an Rx for oxygen.
We have people come in that want to get an oxygen cylinder, and we legally can not give them out without an Rx

Fair enough.
--------
It is not true that the only difference between medical and industrial grade is a certificate. But I care about as much as I do with CO2.

Latest posts

Back