Measuring Water Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you without sight glasses, how do you measure your strike/sparge water volumes?
I use a cheap graduated 5 gal paint bucket from HD, but wondering if there is a better way.

I use a 2 quart measuring cup and measure out my strike and sparge water. Your strike water isnt going to evaporate very much and I usually add about an extra pint to the sparge water to account for evaporation and a little bit of grain absorption. I have found my volumes to be spot on doing it this way.

I used a two quart pitcher to measure water into the pot I use to heat the strike water and sparge water. I made a mark at each gallon on a long plastic paddle. I just stand the paddle up in the pot and fill up to the correct mark. (or guestimate if it's in between marks. 3.5gals, etc...)

I use a 1 gal. water jug with .5 gal marked. Also use a 1 qt. pitcher and also use it for lautering.

I start drawing off my wort then after a gallon or so I begin adding water to the now exposed grain bed. I add it very slowly a couple of quarts at a time. I use a graduated pitcher and continue this method with some moderate stirring until I get my desired preboil volume. Essentially I never measure.
When I start getting close to preboil volume I stop adding and drain the mashtun. I always hit my efficiency numbers.

Not really a mashout but the collected wort in going directly to the boil kettle

I use a fermenting bucket. I don't think it matters at all what you measure in, just as long as you measure the same way every time.

I use bottled water, and I tare the bottles on a kitchen scale before adding to mash tun. There's usually about an extra half pint in each bottle. After mashing and also after boiling, I weigh the mash tun or boiler pot on a bathroom scale to get a decent estimate of the volume (+/- 0.5 lbs).

Back