Measuring OG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy Folks

I have marked my primary with the level I need in order to rack enough beer to get the level in the secondary fermenter up to the neck. The primary is a 6 1/2 gallon carboy and the secondary is 5. I have always set Brewsmith for 5.0 gallon batches, but I'm guessing I have 1/2 gallon of trub that I'm not accounting for, which is why my efficiency seemed a bit low.

I measure my OG once everything is settled into the primary just before I slide the blowoff tube in. Should I be adjusting Beersmith to the number of gallons, including trub?

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the question right, but to the specific gravity is what it is no matter the volume.

If you mean to get your efficiency in the recipe calculations I would say use the volume before removing the trub.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Next to the Equipment block in BeerSmith there is a Details button. Click on that and you will see a place to enter "Lost to Trub and Chiller." Adjusting that will change your boil volume and sparge values.

Edit:
Just noticed that you wrote Brewsmith. Typo, or is there such a thing?

OP
OP
joety

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the question right, but to the specific gravity is what it is no matter the volume.

If you mean to get your efficiency in the recipe calculations I would say use the volume before removing the trub.

Thanks, the second comment answered my question. I was unfairly handicapping my efficiency.

OP
OP
joety

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Next to the Equipment block in BeerSmith there is a Details button. Click on that and you will see a place to enter "Lost to Trub and Chiller." Adjusting that will change your boil volume and sparge values.

Edit:
Just noticed that you wrote Brewsmith. Typo, or is there such a thing?

Thanks, will look for that. Yes, that was a typo, I had it right later in the message.

Edit: Ya know, I think Brewsmith almost rolls off the tongue better anyway.