Measuring liquids in Stainless pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effigy

Reaction score
I am not to happy in sloshing hot liquor/wort around when brewing, but at the moment its the only way that I can accurately measure volumes.

My current method:
I heat up about 30L in my boiler and then measure out 11L into a plastic bucket to transfer to the mashtun to begin mashing. For sparging, I again measure out the sparge liquor and pour this into the mashtun, repeating for the second batch. I run off the wort into another calibrated plastic bucket to ensure that I have the correct pre-boil volume then pour it into the (now empty) copper and away we go.

I would like to go to a simple gravity fed system (or pumped if I could afford it) of HLT into MT into Copper into FV, but I can't see a way around measuring the volumes by hand?

How do others do it?

I use a sight glass on my HLT and deduct the volume going into the mash. I have marked the glass in 2 quart and 1 gallon increments. As for what goes into the boiler, I either use the story pole or just eyeball it with the ribs in the keggle.

Notched spoon works... I have a 3 foot long piece of aluminum angle I bought at the hardware store. That way I have four sets of markings, one on each side. One for pot, one for carboy, etc....

Back