"Measured Batch Size" in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
Building a recipe in BeerSmith (pretty new to it). Set up my equipment profile... and in my recipe the numbers all seem to make sense to me except for "measured batch size." I didn't complete this field and think it must have auto-populated. It's basically a 5 gallon batch but the measured batch size is showing 18.93 gallons. I haven't been able to find out what this means and don't understand why it is 18.93.

I've watched it before when first setting up my equipment a while ago. I'm sure it can't hurt to watch it again so I'll do that.

Can you post the values you input to a screenshot of the volumes tab in the recipe?

Edit: measured batch size is a free form field that you type into on Brewday. Used for calculating total efficiency. Perhaps that close is left over from a different recipe? Or maybe this recipe was imported?

At any rate, you can just put 0 for now.

Thanks. That definitely helps. I created a new recipe just to see what the default is and the number was 5 gallons I believe. I have no clue how it became 18 + gallons in the recipe I am working on. Again, I am really new to BeerSmith and starting to get a feel for it. Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To avoid BeerSmith getting "confused" about volumes and calculations, make sure that your recipes are all closed when you make changes to the units or advanced options. I'm not saying this happened, just that it's a good practice. BeerSmith seems to make some calcs when you open the recipe and not when the units are changed.

Second, you can create a default recipe that has all of the measured fields zeroed out, as well as starts with all the tedious things (like irish moss) that go into every recipe.

Just create the recipe with your equipment, some basic pale malt and foundation bittering from your favorite hop. Add your favorite yeast, some irish moss and then your favorite mash, fermentation and carbonation profiles.

Click the "Save as Default" button, hidden in plain sight right next to the "Remove Inv" icon. Confirm and there ya go! When you click "Add Recipe" it's ready to modify.

Back