Meal prep services

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
*disclaimer - this is not a review nor an ad, just a post.

So a few weeks ago my co-worker gave me a discount card for everyplate.com, one of those meal-prep services where you can order up to 5 meals per week for a set price; they send all of the ingredients other than oil, flour, butter, salt & pepper. Husband and I both work long hours, and tend to eat too much fast food or huge comfort food meals with days upon days of leftovers, that usually go bad. And we usually cook the same things over and over, like tuna casserole, beef stroganoff, spaghetti, or pork ribs; and hardly ever any vegetables or what might be considered healthy. I must say, I'm impressed with this service. We've had four meals so far that were very easy to prepare, took not a lot of time nor made a big mess in my kitchen, and were quite tasty.

Anyone else using a meal service like this? Yes I know I can make up a weekly menu, and go shopping for ingredients; but the convenience of having it all delivered to my door (all I have to do is pick out the meals the week prior) is pretty awesome. Average price per week is about $60; yes I could probably do it cheaper by shopping myself, but some of it would go to waste, which bothers me.

i've been liking instacart for the last few years....grocery store is kinda far away, it's nice to drop a $20 to have someone else drive there and get what i want....

I have never really thought about using services like these. I see the ones that you get the meal in a glorified TV dinner package and heat/cook in an oven they must have to sell you. It looks like you actually have to prep these. I like that idea, you can add or subtract ingredients to taste if you want to, am I right?
Are the portions OK? I hate leaving the table hungry. (LOL) Small amt of left overs are OK.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I have never really thought about using services like these. I see the ones that you get the meal in a glorified TV dinner package and heat/cook in an oven they must have to sell you. It looks like you actually have to prep these. I like that idea, you can add or subtract ingredients to taste if you want to, am I right?
Are the portions OK? I hate leaving the table hungry. (LOL) Small amt of left overs are OK.
Joel B.
The portions are perfect for us, surprisingly so. It doesn't look like much when you first set out the ingredients, but each one so far has been sufficient with no leftovers. My husband is a big eater, and he was very skeptical when I did the first one (hotel butter steak strips with zucchini and potatoes) but it turned out just right. The main reason we went with these is to avoid stacks of leftovers in the fridge that take up space (that I could have used for beer, lol) and will eventually get tossed. Also to try to eat healthier; there's more vegetables in my fridge right now than I've had in over 20 years. Nothing is pre-cooked, and the vegetables aren't pre-cut; they even send whole garlic, which means you can use less or more (guilty) as you wish. And the cost isn't prohibitive; it may seem like it (I spend $60 a week on three meals) but that's $10 per serving, without having to schlep to the store and buy everything individually.

No, we're not in a position to need a service.
I just looked and the price is reasonable, good variety and appetizing. I didn't look closely to see if the ingredients were where I'd need them to be as of yet.
Kroger has something similar going on.
I'd recommend that service. What comes to mind are seniors (I know a lot of them) who would skimp on their food quality for various reasons. A surprisingly large amount of them fall back on fast food.

One reason why I am a little bit on the fence with these deals is the subscription nature of them. I know that it's mostly a me thing, I'm sure they have a good track record but if it could go south, it would happen to me. That and I would like to see a trial package or two before I commit/sub, just to get a better feel for the product.
Hell, might even find that I like something that I hadn't before because of the way it had been prepped.
It say's you can quit at any time, so there's that. Hopping to see some more comments here, has to be others that use this or other services like it.
Joel B.

We use Misfits Market. Because we are misfits.😊 No subscription and not a lot of useless packaging. Order what you want when you want. We just get the stuff that we can't find in small town grocery stores.

Back