Meadowfoam BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
Time to revisit a well loved varietal that I've not had good luck with. I'm hoping the BOMM recipe will preserve the wonderful marshmallow flavor of this honey. We will see. This time, I saved some honey for backsweetening.

Meadowfoam BOMM Recipe - 1 gallon

Start with 1 gallon Ozarka spring water.
Remove 1/2 cup water to compensate for smack pack volume.
Draw line on jugs at this water level.
Remove an additional 4 cups of water from jug.
Add honey back to line.
-About 3 lbs. SG 1.12ish.

Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K.
-Add these again at 2/3 (1.08) & 1/3 (1.04) sugar break.

Add 1/4 tsp K2CO3. One time addition.

Shake with the top on until honey is fully dissolved.
Add activated Wyeast 1388 yeast smacked for about 2 hours.

Better brewing through science!

Ooooooo sounds good. Meadowfoam honey is pretty great but expensive. Cain't wait to see how this goes for you.

Day 2
1.08. Degassed and added nutrients. Smells like marshmallow goodness.

God I love that honey. I still have a very small bit left over from a 12lb jar.

Day 12
1.002. It tastes very good, but has a bit of a bitter back end that I also have in a year old meadowfoam. Kind of a slight milkweed note. I think this mead needs to be a bit sweet both to keep the strong marshmallow flavor as well as hide that weed note.

Added 5 oz of honey to 1.013.

Day 21
Gravity back to 1.008. Quite tasty! I hope it stops here!

Turns out meadowfoam needs some sweetness. The backbone of the marshmallow flavor is bitter without sweetness. With sweetness, it is marshmallowy goodness!

yayyy loveofrose, looking forward to a report. i myself just bottled 4 BOMMS including one JAOBOMM and have to say a huge thanks for all your experimentation and luck that lead to finding the holy grail of meading, the yeast we use in BOMM. thanks so much, seriously.

Day 78

Holy smokes! We have MARSHMALLOW! Huge, ginormous MARSHMALLOW!
Okay, let's try a more restrained review:

Nose
Smells tart with a vanilla like sweetness. Marshmallow is very easy to pick out here.

Taste
Did I mention MARSHMALLOW ? Huge flavor burst of marshmallow. The added sweetness and cold temperature really enhanced the flavor here.

Palette
Medium body with a long lasting aftertaste.

Overall
This is what I've been shooting for with meadowfoam mead. I promise this would win any competition. It is absolutely delicious.

What do you think would be an appropriate amount of vanilla bean for one gallon of this? Do you think half a bean would be too little or would a whole one be too much?

I'd go with one bean, split lengthwise, inner pulp & all. You could go with 1/2 a bean, but really, what are you going to do with the other half? Might as well use it all. This basically means that you'll reach your desired flavour profile more quickly than you would using a 1/2 bean.

Now comes the catch: Vanilla flavour tends to fade over time. Mead takes time to get really good. The trick is to guesstimate how much vanilla flavour will be needed to be just right after aging. I don't know what the rate of fade is for vanilla, I've never calculated it. I can tell you I put 2 split vanilla beans in a batch of honey graff (6 gal) & left it there for 3 months. It was detectable, but it was a backround flavour, which was what I was going for. Six months later I couldn't taste the vanilla, but I think it was still there, much like the way vanilla is often used in making chocolate. You couldn't really taste the vanilla, but you would notice it if it weren't there.

So you'll want to do taste tests every month or so to see how much vanilla flavour is there. When you think it's just right, leave it in for a while longer, say another few weeks to a month. Then as it ages, the vanilla begins to fade; by the time aging is done, the vanilla flavour profile is (hopefully) just right. If it's still too strong, all you have to do is wait, it will fade with time & eventually be just right. BTW, vanilla is a common ingredient in marshmallows.
In theory, you could even use more vanilla beans & simply age longer; it all depends on how much vanilla flavour you want & how long you're willing to age the mead.

I'd add 1 split bean after the mead clears & leave it in for 6 months, then remove the bean. I'd bulk age for another 6 months to a year before bottling.
Keep a log & write down your recipes & methods for each brew, include notes from taste tests as the brews age & you'll be able to tweak them & recreate them with good results. As you gain more experience, you'll get a feel for a particular ingredient & how much to use & when, even if you haven't used that ingredient before. If you haven't done so already, you should read this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381802/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have a copy on my shelf & still refer to it after all these years.
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, I would be all for vanilla and oak, but this mead doesn't need it. Try it as is first. You can always add to secondary.

Understand, but I'm playing Frankenstein (shhh!) and combining your recipe with this chocolate mead experiment:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/our-chocolate-mead-experiment-94358/

I'm trying to make a S'more Mead. It will probably fail horribly, but I have to try. LOL

In that case, I would highly suggest cacao nibs in secondary with vanilla bean and American oak. Maybe a touch of toasted ginger to give a little of that toasted graham cracker flavor.

Month 8

I didn't think it possible, but the marshmallow has actually intensified. Huge nose and taste of MARSHMALLOW!

At month 3, it would win competitions. At month 8, it would lower everyone else's score if the judges drank it first!
Make this mead!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Back