meadmaker from Northern KY (USA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NKYmeadguy

Reaction score
Hi, a brewer friend of mine suggested I join this forum.
I started making mead over a year ago during the shutdown. I enjoy making mead, but dread how long it takes. I just racked my second batch ever this past weekend. I split it up into 12 growlers so as to experiment with various flavors:
  • peaches + cinnamon
  • Anise extract + Fennel
  • Vanilla bean
  • Maple
  • Chai tea
  • Ancho + mango
  • cinnamon (going for the Fireball flavor)
  • lemon grass + rosemary + pear
  • cloves + coconut milk (ew)
  • raspberries + vanilla extract
  • passionfruit
  • the base (10.5% ABV)
My first ever batch was supposed to be mango habanero, but can't taste any of the mango. However, the habaneros did show up. it burns.
My setup is pretty basic: 6 gallon bucket, 5 gallon carboy, and very large pot (8-10 gallons of my memory serves me right). Until I get better at making mead, I plan on using Kroger clover honey. I intend to eventually use locally-sourced honey.
Aside from mead, I have been a craft beer enthusiast since 2010. I also like peaty whiskey.
I am here to learn form others with a lot of experience. I also intend to stay away from chemicals as much as possible (i.e. I use papaya peel for pectin).
Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

If the wait is getting you down, look into BOMM...

I'm a noob mazer myself... Only JAOMs and BOMMs under my belt... Lots of good discussion here, though.

Welcome!

I enjoy making mead, but dread how long it takes.
Welcome to HBT!
Are you using any yeast nutrients?
The type of nutrient is important as well as when it is added.
I've been using the TONSA 3.0 method/protocol and my mead is much better than before and doesn't require as much time.

https://www.meadmaderight.com/
Many experienced, competition winning mead makers make 1 gallon batches when they are doing experiments.
I've made decent mead with honey form the grocery store, but there's no way to guarantee what's in that container is actually honey. So I try to find local suppliers that will sell buckets of honey and the price isn't as that much more than what the big stores are charging.

I commute a long distance to work and have learned a lot about brewing/mead making by listening to podcasts.
The MMR podcast (look on the web page above) is very good, but has been discontinued, there are many others.
If Videos are your thing, check out Ricky the mead maker's blog:
https://www.groennfell.com/blog/category/ask the meadmaker

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor. Plenty of mead makers on this site. I'm sure you'll find help with any questions you have. Cheers!

If the wait is getting you down, look into BOMM...

I'm a noob mazer myself... Only JAOMs and BOMMs under my belt... Lots of good discussion here, though.

Welcome!
I will definitely look that up prior to starting my 3rd batch. never heard of it and that sounds awesome.

Welcome to HBT!
Are you using any yeast nutrients?
The type of nutrient is important as well as when it is added.
I've been using the TONSA 3.0 method/protocol and my mead is much better than before and doesn't require as much time.

https://www.meadmaderight.com/
Many experienced, competition winning mead makers make 1 gallon batches when they are doing experiments.
I've made decent mead with honey form the grocery store, but there's no way to guarantee what's in that container is actually honey. So I try to find local suppliers that will sell buckets of honey and the price isn't as that much more than what the big stores are charging.

I commute a long distance to work and have learned a lot about brewing/mead making by listening to podcasts.
The MMR podcast (look on the web page above) is very good, but has been discontinued, there are many others.
If Videos are your thing, check out Ricky the mead maker's blog:
https://www.groennfell.com/blog/category/ask the meadmaker
To answer your question. no, I do not use yeast nutrients. the thought did cross my mind by for some reason I decided it would be overwhelming work to enter the world of yeast nutrients. Don't know why I thought this, but I did.
I will definitely check out the video you posted, but it will be in a while. I am a teacher and the school year is about to start. Maybe during the winter break.
thanks for help!

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor. Plenty of mead makers on this site. I'm sure you'll find help with any questions you have. Cheers!
Howdy! I will have questions. I feel like I'm always asking my beer brewing friend with basic questions. Of course, I will do my due diligence and read first before posting dupe questions.

Back