Quantcast

Mead & Yeast Questions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Duffman53

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I looked on the forums but couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for... Sorry for the lengthy post I'm about to write.

I made a batch of sweet dessert mead pretty much based on that recipe in the "Making Wild Wines & Mead" book by Pattie Vargas. Every recipe in that book says to clear after the most rigorous fermentation period. I've been really, really busy and finally got a chance to rack it last weekend after about two months since putting it in my primary. I used a packet of Red Star champagne yeast so I expected trub and sediment but it was close to two or three inches deep of my two gallon container and there was a terribly strong yeast smell. I had a small sip of the hydrometer sample and it tasted yeasty and despite using five pounds of honey in my one and a half gallon batch wasn't really as sweet or enjoyable as I expected.

Lesson learned about racking mead/wines after two or three weeks. But if the yeast scent and taste doesn't go away what can I do? I have considered racking again in another month and then adding more boiled honey or a simple syrup and potassium sorbate to stop fermentation and chilling it to stop fermentation from restarting so it might sweeten. I've also thought about letting it settle to see if it clears on its own.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've invested time, money and patience (Perhaps too much in not racking sooner...) and would like to see if I can salvage this batch.

Happy brewing!
D

BargainFittings

Vendor / Owner
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I personally would rack the mead and give it some time to condition. Use a container that does not have alot of head space. Either top up with more mead, or fill the headspace with co2 before adding the airlock.

You have nothing to lose but a bit more time and storage room in the carboy or container while you wait.

Proceed at some point after tasting every couple months to see if it improves.

Latest posts