Mead? What Is It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.TC

Reaction score
Hello I am getting into brewing beer and was looking at some other options. What is mead and how do you make it. I had always made a drink that my grandfather drank. Its kinda gross but you get use to it. You mix Honey brown sugar peaches. You boil it the chill. Then pitch your yeast and ferment. Any links would be helpful.

The way we are doing the leap year, is going to be a traditional mead. NO BOIL. Just use warm water so the honey will dissolve. We are using 3#'s of local honey (Local to wherever you are) yeast nutrient (per your package directions), Pasture Champagne Yeast and water to make it to 1 gallon. (Increase all ingredients to match your batch size). After Fermentation stops, in a month or so, we are racking to secondary (Transferring to a clean container) with 2 vanilla beans per gallon in the secondary. When it's all clear, bottle and wait till Feb 29, 2012.
That is basically it. The 3 main things with Mead are:
#1. Sanitation.
#2. Best Honey you can find.
#3. Time. (YOU MUST LET THIS STUFF AGE... maybe even for years!)

Other than that...It's pretty simple.

Back