mead tasted weird at transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
ok, we decided to try to make mead for the first time. this is the recipe

15 LBS 100% pure natural U.S. grade A honey (that's what it says on bottle)
5 tsp's super ferment yeast nutrient
a pack of champagne yeast (can't remember what kind)

ok first off we made it like a 6.25 gallon batch because we don't know what we're doing. but, at transfer to secondary it tasted like a Fluoride or some thing.
everything was sanitized and everything. did we add too much nutrient? i know we messed up on adding too much water. maybe cuz we didn't use clover honey?

here's teh thing...making dry mead with champagne yeast...its gonna have to age a year or more to really develop its flavor. prior to that its got too much alcohol hotness, and generally is just too 'harsh' and immature to really enjoy.

the yeast nutrient seems a little high, but if the label said 1tsp per gallon of must, then its fine. different brands have different formulations.

give it a month in secondary and if its clear, bottle it...and wait. I like my mead, but its one of those things that can take quite a while to reach its peak flavor.

I have a couple bottles of mead that turns a decade old this November.

Try it again in 6 months, should be ready to bottle. Then sample it twice a year, you'll know when it has aged enough.

You did WAY better than I did for your first mead. I made a 3% honey water naxty mix.
Anyway, +1 on the try again in 6 months...and Keep records. Take notes, and don't be afraid to write down the words that come to mind...JET FUEL is one, Fluoride is another. These notes will be useful the next batch when you can look back at the notes and say.."Oh. The first batch tasted like toothpaste at 3 weeks and turned out great, so this one tasting like Mouthwash isn't really all that bad of a thing."

I'd say that your batch will be just fine in time.

Back