mead still cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxcar1

Reaction score
i started a JAOM about 2 months ago using bread yeast (generic bread yeast not fleishmanns) and its still really cloudy looking and showing no signs of settling

about a week later i put on another JAOM and one without oranges(still haven't decided which fruit to use), and used wine yeast in one and champagne yeast in the other.these ones are starting to clear magnificently

why would my first one still be cloudy.could it be due to the type of bread yeast used?

Bread yeast doesn't flocculate (settle out) like wine yeast does. Some brands of bread yeast might be better at it than others, but none of the bread yeast strains will drop out like wine yeast or ale yeast.
Regards, GF.

Pretty much as GF says.

I'd just leave it alone and let it do it's thing. it will likely clear eventually.

Or of course, if it's not clear once the fruit has dropped, then cold crash it.........

Back