Mead Salvage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raith_14

Reaction score
I took over a mead from my cousin who made an attempt at making a light mead, following bad instructions. Turns out she used a 1 pound honey to 1 gallon ratio. I attempted to cover up the wateryness of it by adding loads of apples but it's now just a watery apple melomel. Can I Add more honey and yeast to just basically restart the process? I've never had this issue before.

Yes, although there's nothing wrong with a "hydromel" if you manage your expectations.
Backsweetening with honey does seem to add a lot of mouthfeel too.

Welcome to HBT. :)

If you haven’t added any Sorbate, you can add more honey and get it going again. May have to pitch more yeast if it’s already cleared and racked.

Yes you definitely can. I would suggest you create a pretty good / active starter and use a Champaign or wine yeast something like D47 or EC 1118 (Any Wine yeast will do.) It will ferment dry and even blow off some of the undesirable flavors (If any) due to the "bad" instructions. Then treat it like any other cyser by adding fruit or spices and or sweetening it as desired.

All good stuff thanks, I decided to back sweeten with honey and just bring it to Family thanksgiving dinner. 1 pound has made a world of difference. Thanks much.

Back