Mead Noob--secondary questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just finishing off 5 weeks of my two meads being in the primary.
1X Cycer
1X Ginger Mead.

They have both fermented super dry, and so I wanted to confirm the next steps.

Next I:

**Rack into a clean/sanitized carboy
**Re air lock
**wait around one month/when its crystal clear.

---

Then:

**Once clear enough to read a newspaper through backsweeten....and potassium sorbate....then bottle.

Thoughts? am I on the right track? Below are the recipes if it makes any difference.

1) Joel's Cyser of Joy.

OG:1.125

** 2.8 Liters Apple juice-Super nice organic from our wine growing region.
**1.6 LBS//0.74 KG Wild Flower Honey-Local, and smelled amazing.
**1 Tsp Nutrient-(with DAP + B1..)
**0.5 Cups Dextrose.
**1/2 tsp Pectic enzyme (to help with the super unclear Apple Juice)
**10 Raisins chopped in half.
**Lalvin 1118 Yeast.

NOTE: After reading all the "heated" debates on heating honey.....I said **** it. I could not bring myself to do it after smelling how wonderful it was. I believe in the natural antibiotics of honey...as well as the posting regarding many meaderies that dont boil. Also Lalvin 1118 is tough..and should out compete any other bacterial crap..
----------------------

2) Who you callin a Ginger?-Ginger Mead.

OG=1.115

**1.6 KG wild flower honey
**60 Grams peeled and grated ginger root -(boiled for 5 mins) and placed right in the primary...water and all.
**10 Chopped raisins
**1 tsp Yeast energizer-(DAP, B1...)
**1.5 cups Dextrose.
**Lalvin 1118 Yeasty

sounds good. I would add the potasium sorbate and potasium metabisulfite (sp? on each) let that sit a few days and then back sweeten to ensure no yeast will eat the honey.

I agree but I would give it much longer than a few days. I would probably go a couple weeks at least. Well truth be told I would give it a year or so but that's me. ;)

I agree but I would give it much longer than a few days. I would probably go a couple weeks at least. Well truth be told I would give it a year or so but that's me. ;)

yeah I meant a few days before he back-sweetens. Then sit a year.

Back