mead noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper

Reaction score
This is my first mead. I started it up 3 weeks ago and the OG was 1.090. Ingredients were 12 pounds of orange blossom and 4 gallons of spring water. Room temperature was 75F. No boil. Added recommended dose of yeast energizer. Oxygenated using a stone/filter/aquarium pump.

Two days into fermentation, it dropped to 1.087. At that time I oxygenated it again (using an aquarium type pump and stone), and added a 1 tbs more yeast energizer. yeast was WLP720. Room temp was maintained at 75 for two weeks.

Every other day or so, I would gently rock the carboy to degass.

Today, I measured SG again and see just 1.080.

I never saw more than a few yeast islands on top of the must during fermentation.. there still are a few. Room temperature is currently about 65F, but I didn't see any sort of change in bubble rate. Currently it bubbles very slowly. Maybe once every 2 minutes.

I know there are FAQ's on restarting fermentation, and I did read them. I'm hoping to get some info specific to my need. Any ideas of how to get this restarted or if it is too late?

Sounds like a low pitch rate combined with the infamous sweet mead yeast not really liking the traditional mean environment.

I would probably pitch another TBS of energizer in the batch and mix it up well. Check it in about 5 days and see if the gravity has changed. If not then make a starter with another yeast.

A favorite of mine has been Lalvin 71b-1112. But yet Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale has quickly become a favorite among many mead makers. If using the 71b the take 1 cup of water and mix in 1/2 tsp of energizer and sprinkle the yeast on top. After about 20-30 minutes add 1/2 cup of your mead from the carboy. Wait another 30 minutes to an hour and if it looks active add another 1/2 cup of the mead. Repeat the process till you have about 3 cups volume. Pitch that into the mead and it should be fine. It will ferment dry within a couple weeks and then you can stabilize and back sweeten as desired.

If using the smack pack then prepare by smacking the pack per directions and wait 2 hours. Then follow the directions just like the dry package.

Thank you for the advice.

I added a tablespoon of the energizer, aireated for about 15 minutes, then cranked up the heat to 80.

I'll give Lalvin 71b-1112 a try if this doesn't get going.

Sounds like a plan. Liquid yeasts just seem to have slow starts in my experiences unless you do a low gravity starter. So instead of putting the vile directly into primary you mix like a 1 liter or minimum 2 cup starter of must similar to your brew but with a gravity closer to 1.030 or lower. And using like a 1/2 tsp of energizer, go-ferm, or boiled bread yeast and raisins as a nutrient source to really get the yeast kicking. Then after a couple hours you can pitch that.

Sounds like a plan. Liquid yeasts just seem to have slow starts in my experiences unless you do a low gravity starter. So instead of putting the vile directly into primary you mix like a 1 liter or minimum 2 cup starter of must similar to your brew but with a gravity closer to 1.030 or lower. And using like a 1/2 tsp of energizer, go-ferm, or boiled bread yeast and raisins as a nutrient source to really get the yeast kicking. Then after a couple hours you can pitch that.

Excellent. Yeah, this was a direct pitch from the vial. I never do that with the beer I brew, but i was taking the advice of a successful meadmaker... she must have left out some information or I didn't listen.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 week later, it dropped just 10 points. I went ahead and followed Arpolis' instructions for 71b-1112 with the exception of making only a 2 1/2 cup starter instead of 3 cups (didn't have a big enough container available). Not too happy that I'll have to back sweeten, but if it ferments, I'll be satisfied. Beats losing the whole batch!

Did it drop an additional 10 points? Or just still 10 points lower from start? Whichever best of luck.

Did it drop an additional 10 points? Or just still 10 points lower from start? Whichever best of luck.

10 additional points, and that took a lot of effort. I kept the heat at 80F for five days.

Looks like it might be moving now though with the new yeast.

Great to hear it is moving well with the new yeast. 71b makes a good mead so I am sure you will be good with it.

Today it's 1.052. I just sprinkled on some EC-1118 without hydrating it. If it doesn't move anymore, I'm just going to dump this batch. This is ridiculous. I'm done with mead :(

So I just ignored it and let it sit in the primary... checked the gravity the other day. It's at 1.000. So something finally did the trick.

Any risk keeping it on the yeast or do I need to rack this off? Too late? I realize it's now a dry mead so has to age longer.

Since your OP was 04/2014, it's been on there a while.....I'd still rack it, give it a bit of time, and bottle....how does it taste (other than dry ;) )??? It can be backsweetened with the appropriate measures, if you feel it need be....

Back