Mead noob and melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Ring

Reaction score
I just racked my first standard mead to the secondary, and now SWMBO decide she doesn't like mead. Can I pitch some strawberries into the secondary and turn it into a melomel? Do the strawberries need to be pasteurized?
Thanks

From what I've read (aka never made one) the alcohol content in the brew will kill off anything that would require you to pasteurize the strawberries.

I have three batches of mead going and in two of them I racked on to fruit in the secondary fermentor. I have read of others adding additional fruit in a tertiary stage of racking. I have an apple/cherry wine that after 8 months of bulk aging just didn't seem to have enough "pop" when you tasted it so I added additional fruit juice to make it taste better and enhance the color.

My oppinion, you can add fruit at any point.....basically up to the point of bottling.

Mead needs to age at least a year till it's remotely drinkable. Sure you can add fruit, but that won't alter the fact that mead needs to age. Regards, GF.

Mead needs to age at least a year till it's remotely drinkable. Sure you can add fruit, but that won't alter the fact that mead needs to age. Regards, GF.

I'll second that. I've tried early batches and YUCK. but, give it a year and it's almost like your drinking something totally different.:rockin:

If your mead needs to age for more than a year, you may have some fermentation issues that need some attention. I've served meads at conferences that were less than three months old and they got pretty decent reviews.

Meads that are wonky coming out of the secondary are more than likely the result of nutrient starved fermentations, and have higher alcohol content as a result. That can age out to some extent, but they'll never really rock like those from a healthy fermentation. See part 1,2 and 3 of this: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/blog.php?b=41

EC-1118 can also be the cause of serious crankiness. Just like some people, it can get really ugly when it gets drunk.

Back