Mead: is it time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daviddc

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a new to the home brewing, so I'd be very glad if you would help me.
I have a few questions. I'm making mead for the first time. My mead is now brewing for 2 months (since 11th august), but I'm not sure if it's time to bottle it. That's because it is still sparkling. I know that it is the consequence of the brewing, but since the sparkle is not that strong as it was at the beginning, in fact it is very weak, can I:

1- Can I bottle it or I have to wait until the mead is completely still and clear?

2- Also, when I shake it, bubbles of CO2 are still coming up from the airlock. What should I do?

3- And what kind of caps should I use (sugar cap, plastic, metal crown stoppers, ...)? You

4- In the end, should I transfer the mead in a new jug in order to leave the dead yeasts in the previous jug?

You can also see from the pic the mead is still turbid, I guess. Thanks for your help!

rjUEB.jpg

P.S.: I've used brewer's yeast.

Last edited:
I would rack it to another carboy, get it off the yeast cake. Give it time, and by that I mean give it LOTS of time. Here's a hint: hold a newspaper to the other side of the jug. Can you read it clearly? Only when you can read the smallest print should you consider bottling it.
In the meantime, take a reading when you rack. It will make you feel better as you wait for your delicious creation to mature.

Just to comment on one of your points. CO2 is in solution so you when shake it, you're releasing it and that is why you see bubbles. That doesn't mean it's still fermenting. However, as others have said, rack it again and let it clear.

Thank you all! Sorry if I bother you, but when I'll have racked it, I'll have to put on the airlock again, or just a cap?

Thank you all! Sorry if I bother you, but when I'll have racked it, I'll have to put on the airlock again, or just a cap?

Always air lock. Racking it is going to cause some CO2 to come out of solution so you'll want it to be able to escape.

Got it! Thank you guys. I'll let you know if the final product will be good. And I hope so.

Back