Mead for a Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a 2 gallon batch of mead with 6 lbs of wildflower honey and I used some yeast I had washed from my Belgian Dark strong,WLP530 abbey ale. I added some coriander and bitter orange peel along with a cup of chamomile tea. I thought this would be a fun experiment to see if some of the nice Belgian flavors come through. When I woke this morning there was plenty of activity from the airlock, I really like to see short lag times.

Got to love those large yeast populations from washed yeast, and the money saved helps.
Please let us know how it comes out, I have never used that yeast so enquiring minds want to know.

Bray's One Month Mead BOMM (of Denard Brewing) is based on WY1388, which is their version of a dark strong Belgian yeast so I would guess if nutrified correctly it will provide a really tasty mead quickly. I have my first BOMM still fermenting away as I type. I hope it is as good as quickly as all the posts indicate on the BOMM threads. Don't forget to post results. :mug:

Back