Quantcast

Mead Fermentation Activity?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kombatkoala

Reaction score
I started a small 2.5 gal batch of mead - very basic honey and water with champagne yeast - and then forgot to watch it. I'm used to brewing beer which has always been pretty active when fermenting - is mead the same way? There's no buildup over the liquid, and I'm wondering if the fermentation ever started, or if I need to restart the yeast.

I also neglected to take the specific gravity of the mead before I put it in there, so I am unable to check if it has changed.

nealf

Reaction score
It really depends on how long ago you pitched the yeast. Yesterday, last week? Also, how much honey did you add and we can usually take a shot at what your OG would have been.

OP
K

kombatkoala

Reaction score
This was done back in mid-February - we did 5lbs of clover honey, it's been sitting in a closet for the last few weeks.

OP
K

kombatkoala

Reaction score
I was looking at the FAQs (wish I'd done that before I started!) and I do not believe I started the yeast correctly, and I know I did not add nitrogen, so I will try to do that with some new yeast.

A rough guess at the OG would be very helpful if someone could estimate it.

nealf

Reaction score
A quick and dirty run through beer calculus gives me about 1.070 for 5# of honey in a 2.5G batch... I would guess that your FG would be well below 1.000 at this point.