Mead beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captn_rob

Reaction score

With the success I had this Fall making my own hard cider I've started making mead as well. So far I have bottled my first batch of plain mead as well as a gallon of cyser (cider mead), have a batch of raspberry mead (melomel) that is complete but needs to clarify. And yesterday started a new batch of plain mead using lager yeast that ferments at colder temps because my basement stays in the 40s all winter.
My wife and I cracked open the first bottles last night and the stuff is pretty potent (about 10% abv). I had wanted to see if the flavor had improved with a few weeks of aging and was happy to find that it had. I will save the rest of that batch for a few months.

20211219_100407.jpg

I now have several 1 gallon batches going and my first 6 gallon batch almost ready for bottling (best yet! - tastes fantastic right out of the fermenter!)

i attempted a grapefruit something recently, just racked it yesterday. not sure how or what itll turn in to.
started my second mead batch today. Started at 1.09 sg.

Back