Mead Assist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanhagerty

Reaction score
I just came into ownership of 20 pounds of wildflower honey. I also have two more gallons coming next weekend. I am going to be a mead making fool for the forseeable future.

A couple questions come to mind:
  1. How long can I store the unused honey?
  2. My recipe for the first batch is :
5 gallon batch
  • 15 pounds of wildflower honey
  • Water to 5 gallons
  • 5 grams yeast nutrient at pitching (not sure if this is enough)
  • oxygenate when pitching yeast
  • 2 packet of rehydrated red star cote de blanc
  • Ferment at about 70 degrees F
  • 5 grams yeast energizer at about the 1/3 gravity point
  • when ready to bottle sulphite, sorbate and backsweeten if needed
  • Clarify
Follow on recipes will be figured out as I get ready to do them. Any thoughts or comments on this?

Sean

Just my two cents:

I normally go for 300g/Ltr honey, so ~12,5lbs/gallon.

Use a teaspoon of energizer per gallon.

One packet of yeast should do.

Adding sulfite at the end makes it stink of sulfur dioxide. At least it does here.

quality honey should keep for years on the shelf. Its ability to resist infection and spoilage are part of what make it so special.

The recipe looks good for a strong Mead. Nothing wrong with that and you should give it a try. ;)

For me, I use only 1/2 gal (about 6 lbs) a lot of times just because it's (relatively) lower alcohol (8% with corn sugar added) PLUS you can get 2 batches out of a gallon of honey versus only 1. :rockin:

I really like the Barkshack Ginger Mead recipe in Papazian's TCJOHB...with only 1/2 gal of honey. There are plenty of mead sites on the web also, but it's good that you are here...the point is you should always ask for PROVEN recipes!! :rockin:

When it does crystalize just put it in the microwave until it goes back to liquid...;)

Back