Mead aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbig

Reaction score
I made a 6 gallon batch of simple mead using Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast. That was July, it's on it's 3rd racking, and it's still not cleared up. I don't want to start throwing additives in it, so I decided to cold crash it in the fridge. I pulled a bottle off of it and the taste is much better than the first racking, (Rocket fuel) so it's aging well.

After a few days in the fridge, the mead still hadn't cleared much, so I called that idea a loss and pulled it out. Well, after a week, the bottle I pulled off that was in the fridge as well is nice and clear with the sediment in the bottom. So, it looks like that will work, I just didn't leave it in long enough.

All that for my actual question. If I leave the mead in the fridge for an extended period, will it continue to "Age", or do I need to bring it back out to room temps for that to happen after it clears? Not exactly sure what's going on chemically in the process.

Aging is really just letting it sit and do it's thing. You don't need any special circumstances. Just a cool dark place. Doesn't even need to be a fridge. It's just time.

Matrix

It's considered that a dark place in the low 50's F of low to to medium humidity is best......

If you can manage all those criteria you're better than me........I do "under the stairs at ambient temp" aging myself.......

Back