Mead Advice on FermAid k

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAjwPhilly

Reaction score
My first mead...

I added too much honey (19#; Orange Blossom) into my fermentor than I wanted. I had a reading of 31.4 brix to start. I estimated that my 1/3 sugar break is at 26 brix. I also had some temp issues for the first 48 hours (great winter; 59°F). I stir every 12 hours, if not more. The mead has been sitting at 64-66°F since. Hoping to get 15% out of this with stirring staggered additions.

I re-hydrated 71b in GoFerm per directions. I added 5g of FermAid K at pitch. My notes had me adding another 3 grams at 72 hours... Since this was a bigger mead and my notes on staggered additions are pretty weak, I added 4g of FermAid K between 48-72 hrs (remember 48 hrs was start of fermentation). I was adding more because I am an idiot and thought bigger mead (harder for yeast).

So, in total I have 9 grams of FermAid K in the mead and I am still a day or two away from my 1/3 sugar break (currently @ 27.25 brix). It has been 9 days since pitch and 7 days since signs of fermentation began....

How much is too much FermAid K? I have notes to add another 4 of FermAid K at the 1/3 sugar break? Should I scale it back to 2 grams or add the 4g since it is a big mead.... My notes have a total of 11 grams.

Help?

I never measure yeast nutrient in grams but with yeast I know just over 3 grams is one tsp. yeast and yeast nutrient are close in weight. you can add 10 tsp to a 5 gallon mead and not have any adverse affects. Hope that helps.

FermaidK provides 120ppm per gramme per litre of YAN.

DAP provides 200ppm per gramme per litre of YAN.

My blog has the link to Ken Schramms article from Zymurgy magazine about nutrients etc so you could work it out from that, as it applies to your particular batch......

Back