McMenamin's "Black Widow Porter"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriend54

Reaction score
Using a quick recipe generator (Brewers Friend), this is what I come up with:

(5.5 Gallon Batch size, and 7.5 gallon boil size)

Ingredients:

7lbs Pale 2 row
3lbs Munich Dark
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb American Wheat
1lb UK 160L
2lb American Black Malt
1.5lb American Roasted Barley

.75oz Horizon for 60min
.75oz Horizon for 10min

Yeast: S-04

I did not add the licorice root, because i am not sure when/how that is incorporated.

this come out to: OG 1.078 FG:1.022 ABV: 7.34% IBU: 41.47 (pretty close to the stats listed on their webpage) **based on the efficiency being around 75%***

Good luck! never had the beer before, but sounds amazing.

-Dan

Using a quick recipe generator (Brewers Friend), this is what I come up with:

(5.5 Gallon Batch size, and 7.5 gallon boil size)

Ingredients:

7lbs Pale 2 row
3lbs Munich Dark
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb American Wheat
1lb UK 160L
2lb American Black Malt
1.5lb American Roasted Barley

.75oz Horizon for 60min
.75oz Horizon for 10min

Yeast: S-04

I did not add the licorice root, because i am not sure when/how that is incorporated.

this come out to: OG 1.078 FG:1.022 ABV: 7.34% IBU: 41.47 (pretty close to the stats listed on their webpage) **based on the efficiency being around 75%***

Good luck! never had the beer before, but sounds amazing.

-Dan

That's a ton of black malt and roasted barley in a beer that isn't very roasty tasting. That's a lot in a stout, for that matter.

Yeah, I'm going to agree that's way too much roasted barley and black malt.

I made some modifications to the recipe ( I'll update it soon here).

I brewed it last Sunday (3 gallon batch) and pitched white labs wlp001 California ale yeast.

It took off about 6 hours later and had a pretty health initial fermentation

Question is.... It's still bubbling 1 week later ( 1 bubble / sec pretty steady like a clock). Temperature is right around 70F.

How long will this continue? Just wondering when it's gonna stop.

Here's a pic of the batch

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417439008.050113.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How long will this continue?
Until it is done. Airlock bubbling is not the best indicator of fermentation. Your temperature is a little high, so a guess would be 2-3 weeks to finish and clean up any off flavors. Go by stable gravity over at least several days rather than bubbles. Longer fermentation is generally safer than trying to rush it.
Good luck, I hope it turns out.

Awesome! Hope it turns out well.. Let me know how you modified the recipe, as I would like to brew it myself.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge when it comes to the black malt, as I am still learning, as we all are.

Good luck!

Back