McLovin' White Labs WLP023, Burton Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Tasty stuff! Just bottled a special bitter that used Maris Otter, Challenger, EKGs and Styrian Goldings along with the Burton Ale Yeast, and man it's tasty. Those Brit ingredients go great together. Lot of fruit in the yeast but it melds really nicely with the earthy hops and bready malt. The 78.5% attenuation surprised me a bit (1.042 down to 1.009). Expected a bit lower attenuation. Tasty as hell though!

I'd recommend this yeast to anyone wanting to try out some more British yeasts...

+1...I used this on a porter and black ipa....the IPA tasted better when aged, the porter needed something added, but the yeast profile in both cases was excellent...very fruity indeed.

I use Burton Ale and the West Yorkshire (WY1469) almost exclusively for my Mild and Bitter. Exceptional strains.

"Just bottled a special bitter that used Maris Otter, Challenger, EKGs and Styrian Goldings along with the Burton Ale Yeast, and man it's tasty. "

That sounds like a great recipe. Can you post it? Wyeast is what is available locally so I will have to try the West Yorkshire 1469. Montanaandy

Bummer can't get that Wyeast 1469 from my places I order from. Looks like it's the Timothy Taylor yeast. Had some of their beers at GBBF, Landlord was tasty from what I recall. The place I order from in the UK actually has a better range of White Labs than Wyeast.

"Just bottled a special bitter that used Maris Otter, Challenger, EKGs and Styrian Goldings along with the Burton Ale Yeast, and man it's tasty. "

That sounds like a great recipe. Can you post it? Wyeast is what is available locally so I will have to try the West Yorkshire 1469. Montanaandy

Won't post it to my recipe section until I'm drinking the bottle conditioned version so I can comment better, but below you'll find the recipe anyway. I love it.

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/10/2010
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 28.87 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: RIMS and 10 gallon boiler
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 (76% before kettle losses)

Ingredients

Grain:

3.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 93.91 %
0.16 kg Crystal Malt -150 (76.1 SRM) 4.06 %
0.08 kg Crystal Malt -350 (177.7 SRM) 2.03 %

Hops, all pellets:

28.00 gm Challenger [5.80 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) 25.4 IBU
12.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) 9.0 IBU

16.00 gm Styrian Goldings [3.10 %] (15 min) 1.9 IBU
16.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

1.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Ferment for 20 days at 67.

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 4.29 %
Bitterness: 36.3 IBU
Est Color: 9.5 SRM

Mash Profile

Sparge Water: 22.54 L
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

0 min Mash In Add 10.28 L of water-74.0 F

(RIMS mash, not necessary to mash in that low, I just mash in at ambient temp, then ramp up)

60 min Saccharification-152.0 F
10 min Mash Out-168.0 F

Water like so:

Ca 109
Mg 15
Alkalinity as CaCO3 110
Sodium 5
Chloride 60
Sulfate 211
Residual alkalinity as CaCO3 23
Chloride to Sulfate ratio: Very bitter.

The beer tastes more bitter than the IBUs would indicate, which I credit to the chloride to sulfate ratio, but it's quite nice. Flavor is a lot of bread and earthy hops with a good amount of fruit in the aroma from yeast. Not bottle conditioned yet, so there it is.

BTW, White Labs WLP 023 and Wyeast 1275 are both listed as Henley of Thames (Brakspear Bitter) yeast from the list I have. I haven't tried 1275 and from what I've read online it's not as fruity, but for people who can't get White Labs, it might be worth a try. From what I remember, though, isn't Brakspear Bitter now brewed by Marston's????

Ah, anyway, that's the info I have. Anybody used both 1275 and WLP023 and wanna comment?

Thanks for posting the recipe Matt. Looks like a winner. Looking forward to brewing this one soon.

I used Wyeast 1275/Thames Valley Ale on a recent batch of ESB so I am familiar with it. It was interesting to use - reminded me a bit of PacMan in that even with a larger starter I had a very intense but controlled fermentation with this yeast - didn't even need to use a blow off tube.

Looks like Wyeast has retired 1469 because it isn't listed in their regular yeast inventory. Maybe it is a PSS selection that they release periodically. Montanaandy

Thanks for posting the recipe Matt. Looks like a winner. Looking forward to brewing this one soon.

I used Wyeast 1275/Thames Valley Ale on a recent batch of ESB so I am familiar with it. It was interesting to use - reminded me a bit of PacMan in that even with a larger starter I had a very intense but controlled fermentation with this yeast - didn't even need to use a blow off tube.

Looks like Wyeast has retired 1469 because it isn't listed in their regular yeast inventory. Maybe it is a PSS selection that they release periodically. Montanaandy

Ah, okay (on the 1275). This Burton Ale yeast was really super top cropping. It blew off for me and cropped to the top a ton at the end. Sounds like different behavior.

Glad to post the recipe. Lemme know if you make it and what you think.

Cheers.

BTW, White Labs WLP 023 and Wyeast 1275 are both listed as Henley of Thames (Brakspear Bitter) yeast from the list I have. I haven't tried 1275 and from what I've read online it's not as fruity, but for people who can't get White Labs, it might be worth a try. From what I remember, though, isn't Brakspear Bitter now brewed by Marston's????

Ah, anyway, that's the info I have. Anybody used both 1275 and WLP023 and wanna comment?

Yup, I've used both, but find them very different. The 023 has a very different and much more assertive character, and lower attenuation. I like in in English IPA's (in spite of the lower attenuation) but will be trying it in a special bitter within the next few months. I like the 1275 for lower gravity bitters, and don't think it would make a good IPA (in spite of the higher attenuation).
I think both manufacturers describe their respective yeasts very well.

-a.

Yup, I've used both, but find them very different. The 023 has a very different and much more assertive character, and lower attenuation. I like in in English IPA's (in spite of the lower attenuation) but will be trying it in a special bitter within the next few months. I like the 1275 for lower gravity bitters, and don't think it would make a good IPA (in spite of the higher attenuation).
I think both manufacturers describe their respective yeasts very well.

-a.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't experience lower attenuation with WLP023 on this beer at least, at 78.5%.

I've always had good attenuation with 023 as well, though it supposed be 70-75%, i usually get 75-80%. It's my house yeast, love it! I've made all manner of English beers with it now, browns, Irish reds, bitters, IPAs. MMMMMMM :)

I've always had good attenuation with 023 as well, though it supposed be 70-75%, i usually get 75-80%. It's my house yeast, love it! I've made all manner of English beers with it now, browns, Irish reds, bitters, IPAs. MMMMMMM :)

Sounds good. I rinsed it and have three jars for future use.

I just checked some records, and I'm getting about 80% attenuation. Perhaps White Lab's description might not be as good as I thought :eek: but I was going by the flavor descriptions rather than the technical details.

-a.

I just checked some records, and I'm getting about 80% attenuation. Perhaps White Lab's description might not be as good as I thought :eek: but I was going by the flavor descriptions rather than the technical details.

-a.

No worries. My beer tastes pretty dry to me, but that's fine with me. Came out great.

i made an imperial IPA with the 023.
attenuation was great but there is a slight tartness that i'm thinking might be the yeast. anyone else notice this with wlp023?

Nope, no tartness for me either. Can you describe the tartness any more? Is it sour? Could be an infection...

i think it'd be accurate to describe it as hints of apple and kinda tart/sour. very subtle though.

Apple flavour could be acetaldehyde, which is definitely not a normal by product of 023!

i think it'd be accurate to describe it as hints of apple and kinda tart/sour. very subtle though.

Apple flavour could be acetaldehyde, which is definitely not a normal by product of 023!

Well, not so much. The White Labs site itself lists apple as one of the characteristics of this yeast.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp023.html

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
From the famous brewing town of Burton upon Trent, England, this yeast is packed with character. It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear. Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts.
Attenuation: 69-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

That being said, I can't say if mine has apple. Just bottled it on Saturday so won't be sampling it right now. I don't really remember any but think I picked up some pear which is similar to apple anyway. But certainly no tartness or sourness.

Question is, are you happy with the beer? If you are, then great. If not then see what you can do. This yeast is *supposed* to be packed with fruit flavors, so if that's not really what you want, them maybe a cleaner yeast is in order. Wyeast 1098 and 1028 both are far less fruity to my palate but high attenuators...

i didn't regulate the temps as well as i should have so i was thinking perhaps i stressed the yeast a bit and got lots of esters...
the beer is pretty good.

i'll probably do an IPA with this yeast once more and really regulate everything real well and see how it works out...
i did a stout that it worked well in.

i didn't regulate the temps as well as i should have so i was thinking perhaps i stressed the yeast a bit and got lots of esters...
the beer is pretty good.

i'll probably do an IPA with this yeast once more and really regulate everything real well and see how it works out...
i did a stout that it worked well in.

Yeah, controlling the temp is pretty important for most beers. My recent beer with this yeast used 67 as the temp, don't know what others are doing though. The recommended temps from White Labs look pretty high to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with this yeast so couldn't say for sure. 73 seems awful high though.

I stand corrected, thanks Matt. I've never had any hints of discernible apple mine, and from the WL page it's clear that the yeast does produce some acetaldehyde in small quantities, which could give this taste, but their reported ppm of acetaldehyde is actually pretty moderate so it likely some ester causing the expected apple. I suspect you're right on with his ferm temp being too high, and I would still think that acetaldehyde is the cause. A fruity yeast like 023 will go bananas [teehee] with fruitiness if you ferment it warm...

I stand corrected, thanks Matt. I've never had any hints of discernible apple mine, and from the WL page it's clear that the yeast does produce some acetaldehyde in small quantities, which would give this taste, but I suspect you're right on with his ferm temp being too high. A fruity yeast like 023 will go bananas [teehee] with fruitiness if you ferment it warm.

No problem.

My guess is it's ester based. I've had a lot of Brit beers with a touch of apple in the profile, but it's not that crisp fresh apple note that acetaldehyde gives. It's something sort of closer to pear in some cases. Anyway, I think it's ester based. And a lot of Brit yeasts produce a lot of esters, so it's generally a good idea to not let them get too warm. That's not the case with all Brit yeasts, but with the ones that are prone to throw a lot of esters, I don't think letting it get over 68 or 69 is a very good idea. I can't say that's the case with all of them, though. I'd personally try them lower first, say 67, and see how it goes from there. Which is what I've done with this yeast now. I was happy with 67. I'll likely stick with 67 with the next beer as it's higher gravity.

For the record, esters are increased by higher fermentation temps, higher gravity, lower O2 and lower pitching rates. So, if you find a temp you're happy with for a beer at 1.050, the same temp may not produce the same ester level for a beer at 1.075. Worth considering.

No problem.

My guess is it's ester based. I've had a lot of Brit beers with a touch of apple in the profile, but it's not that crisp fresh apple note that acetaldehyde gives. It's something sort of closer to pear in some cases. Anyway, I think it's ester based. And a lot of Brit yeasts produce a lot of esters, so it's generally a good idea to not let them get to warm. That's not the case with all Brit yeasts, but with the ones that are prone to throw a lot of esters, I don't think letting it get over 68 or 69 is a very good idea. I can't say that's the case with all of them, though. I'd personally try them lower first, say 67, and see how it goes from there. Which is what I've done with this yeast now. I was happy with 67. I'll likely stick with 67 with the next beer as it's higher gravity.

For the record, esters are increased by higher fermentation temps, higher gravity, lower O2 and lower pitching rates. So, if you find a temp you're happy with for a beer at 1.050, the same temp may not produce the same ester level for a beer at 1.075. Worth considering.

i think this is right.
the beer was high gravity and i let the beer ferment warm ~71* for a full day then started thinking about it and decided to cool it down a bit. so it went at 68* for the rest of the time. probably some fluctuations too as i didn't use a swamp bath that time...

i think this is right.
the beer was high gravity and i let the beer ferment warm ~71* for a full day then started thinking about it and decided to cool it down a bit. so it went at 68* for the rest of the time. probably some fluctuations too as i didn't use a swamp bath that time...

That could do it. Esters and higher alcohols are produced more towards the beginning of the fermentation too. You can generally pitch a little cooler, say 65, then warm to 67-68 and ferment there and get a cleaner beer (assuming you pitch a large enough starter of healthy yeast). You shouldn't be switching the temp around a lot either. For me, I pitch 2 or 3 degrees cooler than I will ferment, then set my temp control to the temp I want to ferment at, but even then I tend to like 67-68 for normal gravity beers and 66-67 for higher gravity beers. Depends on the yeast, naturally.

That level of attenuation is surprising. Did you use a starter? What temp did you ferment at?

Eric

This yeast is a crazy top cropper. I bottled my special bitter after 18 days, even with bits of yeast and krausen still floating on top. I'm curious if this will have any ill effect....

This yeast is a crazy top cropper. I bottled my special bitter after 18 days, even with bits of yeast and krausen still floating on top. I'm curious if this will have any ill effect....

Not likely. The beers I've made with it also still had yeast and goodies on top of the beer still, after 21 days for me. And the beers were great!

Man, I tasted my bitter after a week of bottle conditioning and I hope it doesn't taste like this when it's properly conditioned. It's hugely apple-y. I'm having a hard time discerning anything but those big esters. I suppose it's a bit my fault though for letting it get up to 72F. Time will tell I suppose.

Man, I tasted my bitter after a week of bottle conditioning and I hope it doesn't taste like this when it's properly conditioned. It's hugely apple-y. I'm having a hard time discerning anything but those big esters. I suppose it's a bit my fault though for letting it get up to 72F. Time will tell I suppose.

72's a bit high, I'd say. I fermented at 67 and 69 recently and had great results.

I tasted the beer again and I'm quite pleased. The ester profile is nicely balanced with the nutty malt notes with a touch of peppery hoppiness. This is a nice yeast, although not as flocculent as some of the other English strains.

Would you recommend using this yeast for a Foreign Extra Stout? It's supposed to have an English yeast character and darker fruit notes..I used WLP013 London Ale yeast and fermented at 67 (OG was 1.072) and I really couldn't detect hardly any fruity esters from the yeast, but I did like its attenuation

Would you recommend using this yeast for a Foreign Extra Stout? It's supposed to have an English yeast character and darker fruit notes..I used WLP013 London Ale yeast and fermented at 67 (OG was 1.072) and I really couldn't detect hardly any fruity esters from the yeast, but I did like its attenuation

I don't get dark fruit so much as I get apple and pear, as the White Labs description says. I too would like to find an English yeast with more of those dark fruit qualities. If anyone has a recommendation, please post.

I've used it on a robust porter with good results, I imagine it would do well for a FES as well.

I don't get dark fruit so much as I get apple and pear, as the White Labs description says. I too would like to find an English yeast with more of those dark fruit qualities. If anyone has a recommendation, please post.

Dark, fruits notes can be achieved with kettle caranelisation or special B.

Back