Maybe this is a Dumb ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSOE_HomeBrew

Reaction score
What is the difference between rahr 2-row and briess 2-row? Are they the same as American 2-row? Is there a book that I could read to better familiarize myself with the different types of grains?

Have you tried checking retailer websites? I know northern brewer has descriptions o the grains they sell.

Yes, they only list the grains that they carry, not grains like like American 2-row. I checked AHB, Midwest and Norther but none carry it..

MSOE_HomeBrew said:
Yes, they only list the grains that they carry, not grains like like American 2-row. I checked AHB, Midwest and Norther but none carry it..

Northern brewer definitely carries us 2-row, probably listed at pale malt. Same thing.

Its my understanding that 2-row is 2-row just depends on what malt house you get it from and what country you get it from. Grain is suppost to be constent from batch to batch country to country.

autoferret said:
Its my understanding that 2-row is 2-row just depends on what malt house you get it from and what country you get it from. Grain is suppost to be constent from batch to batch country to country.

Batch to batch, but not country to country, nor maltster to maltster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoferret

Batch to batch, but not country to country, nor maltster to maltster.

that what i was meaning... if u like us 2-row from rahr than keep using that and it should be prtty constent from bag to bag. if u switch from malt house to malt house by what cheapest then u might have some differences

"US 2-Row" is a generic term, it refers to any 2-row barley which is grown in the U.S.
"Rahr 2-Row" is a brand name, it is 2-Row Barley that was malted by the company Rahr.
When you use a program like BrewSmith or see a recipe online it will usually just list "US 2-Row" because they are really not that different and can generally be substituted for one another.
However when shopping the company will usually list the malt company for clarity

It's like having a recipe for cookies that calls for "2 cups of all purpose flour (US 2-Row)" or "2 cups of XXX Brand All Purpose Flour (Rahr 2-Row)" generally you can substitute in any brand of flour and you'll be fine.

Regarding malt differences: malted barley is a crop and because of that every single crop will vary slightly based on location grown and growing season, further, exactly how the barley is malted will produce slightly different flavor profiles.
All the big maltsters will produce sheets showing the numbers for their malts and the numbers may change slightly year to year, the key numbers are color in SRM and potential OG by comparing the numbers for different maltsters you can see any differences between the 2-rows offered.

When you see things like American 2-Row it's normally referring to the variety of the actual grain. There are numerous 2-Row varieties that grow in different regions, and have different characteristics in the actual plant (such as size). When you see Breiss 2-Row it's not referencing the grain as much as the origin of where it was malted. Breiss and Rahr are actually malting companies, that use their own individual malting process. They will use numerous varieties to create their 2-Row malt from the US and even Canada.

Thanks so much guys. Just one last questions. Do any of the brewing books go into detail on grains? I just recently purchased John palmers "how to brew 3rd ed" does that elaborate on grains or should I pick up another book?

how to brew has a pretty good description of each type of grain in general from what I recall and what each will do for your recipe. For a really good over view read the sticky written by Death Brewer here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/recipe-formulation-ingredients-descriptions-164140/

Goes into a lot of detail in the 2nd post of the thread about different grains and then gives you some links if you want to read even more detail.

Veinman said:
how to brew has a pretty good description of each type of grain in general from what I recall and what each will do for your recipe. For a really good over view read the sticky written by Death Brewer here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/recipe-formulation-ingredients-descriptions-164140/

Goes into a lot of detail in the 2nd post of the thread about different grains and then gives you some links if you want to read even more detail.

Thanks you have helped so much! I am planning on making a belgium white but pitch black just to throw people for a loop :) Do you think it'll work if I make a normal white but with some carafa special (carafa III)??

Thanks you have helped so much! I am planning on making a belgium white but pitch black just to throw people for a loop :) Do you think it'll work if I make a normal white but with some carafa special (carafa III)??

I'm by no means an expert but search for a German style called a Schwarzbier sometimes just called a dark or black lager it's fairly light in flavor but is black in color. From what I understand to get that dark color a very small amount of dark malt is used, sometimes just sprinkled on top of the grain bed.

MSOE_HomeBrew said:

Any kind of dark malt would get the job done, but then it wouldn't be a Belgian wit, as styles have color specifications associated with them, however, that doesn't mean it won't be good beer, just that it's not a traditional style.

o4_srt said:
Any kind of dark malt would get the job done, but then it wouldn't be a Belgian wit, as styles have color specifications associated with them, however, that doesn't mean it won't be good beer, just that it's not a traditional style.

Yeah the only reason I would use carafa III is because it doesn't impart very much of a roasted flavor or so I heard.

Back