Maybe I just can't find it...anyone use coconut or rum extract as a mild flavor enhan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewtattoo

Reaction score
I made what I would call a Dark Pirate IPA, for my sister, but the roasted coconut flavor did not come through with the rum and final dry hop addition. I have had 4 people sample and they love it but all agree, coconut would make it perfect. I used a pound of fresh coconut from MX! I don't know what happened. There is very little coconut flavor, even less aroma. Of course, my sister loves coconut. I have never used any flavoring or extracts like vanilla.... Anyone have any suggestions? OG-1.074, FG- 1.010. The rum helped bump that up. Time to keg but need that coconut boost. Thank you in advance.

I've found in general baking coconut flavoring to be pretty horrible. Tastes like bubblegum.

You could have used coconut rum in place of straight coconut, or if done in advance, you soak toasted coconut in vodka, grain alcohol, or rum to draw the flavors from the coconut, and then add that now flavored liquor to the beer.

There are a few Recipe threads in the Stout or Porter section that deal with coconut flavor and using coconut flavored rum. I haven't brewed using it.... but it's at the top of my list.

I use two pounds of coconut in my Coconut Porter, toasted in the oven, and put it in my fermenter for a week and I get a very nice completely noticeable coconut taste. About the only other thing I do that maybe some others don't, or can't do if using a fermenter with too small an opening, is while draining to the keg when the level gets down so the bag with the coconut is halfway above the beer I push down on the bag with my fist inside a measuring cup (sanitized of course) to squeeze the bag and get less beer loss and more coconut out. I keep squeezing down on it until I've just about emptied the fermenter. Btw, this thread is under Announcements & Feedback :confused:

Rev.

Sorry, but the whole set up of this site is awkward in my opinion. I can't post properly or delete posts properly. Sometimes I post and it says there was an error. So, I save and re-post only to find there was no error and it was posted twice usually in an odd area as stated by the last guy that was cool enough to help out. I should have done what claire83? said but now it would be over kill. I'll just find some coconut flavor and use gently in kegging bucket. Now, a ratio should be fun. Time to contact a master brewer I guess. Thanks all!

Back