Maybe a yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfade

Reaction score
So I racked my first beer over to secondary after 2 weeks. The day after I racked I noticed I was getting alot more airlock activity. Also, now that I can see whats going on in there, I noticed these lil tannish-white things about the size of lets say a piece of kitty litter in there. Some going up and some going down and some hanging out on top. Are these yeast clusters?

Yeah I probably did. But every time I tried to grab a sample from the spigot on the fermentor it had trub in it. Makes it hard to get a good SG reading. Plus I want the bucket to start another batch. Sooo I'll let it sit for another 3 weeks or so in the secondary, then start dry hopping.

Last decent reading was around 1.020 so I think its getting close. Will it harm it by racking too early? I figured getting it off all that trub might help too.

As far as i've heard/read, you generally want to wait till fermentation has stopped before moving to a secondary... I'm not saying I've necessarily always followed my own advise though, haha. I'm sure it'll turn out fine in the end. Also, you can feel free to leave it in there for 3 more weeks, but that is most likely not necessary. You can bottle as soon as you're sure fermentation is totally done using you're hydrometer readings.

Back