May Original Gravity is WAY too HIGH!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarecrow57

Reaction score
I brewed this Paddy’s Irish Red Ale

1) 8 oz Crystal 40L, 8 oz Cara Red, 8 oz Maris Otter, 2 oz Roasted Barley
2) Steep grains in 2 – 2½ gallons of water in your brew pot at 155°F for 10-15 minutes. Remove and rinse.
6.6# Light LME
1½ oz Kent Golding pellets (6.7 AAU) bittering hop for full hour.
½ oz Kent Golding pellets (2.3 AAU) flavor hop for last 15 min of boil.
½ tsp Irish moss last 15 min of boil

I steeped the grains for 60 minutes instead of 15
I used DME (Muntons) instead of LME
I used whirfloc instead of Irish moss.

The OG was supposed to be 1.055. When I was done I found my OG to be at 1.078.... Any ideas about why???????

https://beerbrew.com/downloads/Recipes/PaddysIrishRedAle.pdf

If you used 6.6 lbs. of DME without doing the math there it is. The conversion of LME to DME is DME x 1.25 = LME lbs. Adversely the conversion from LME is LME / 1.25 = DME lbs.

So to hit your number... 6.6# DME / 1.25 = 5.28# LME

If you used 6.6 lbs. of DME without doing the math there it is. The conversion of LME to DME is DME x 1.25 = LME lbs. Adversely the conversion from LME is LME / 1.25 = DME lbs.

So to hit your number... 6.6# DME / 1.25 = 5.28# LME

LOL!!! Every time you think you post all the info.....

Yes, instead of 6.6 lbs LME I used 6 pounds DME......

It's not at all uncommon for OG numbers to be inaccurate (in both directions) when brewing with liquid extract.

To get all that LME evenly distributed requires a lot of stirring. Don't worry.

Don't feel bad, I accidentally got drunk and added 3.5 more pounds of liquid golden malt in my ipa instead of the 1.5 I had intended and managed to his a OG of 1.115. This will be an interesting brew O_O

Back