May have screwed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I'm currently making wine from a kit. It's a new kit for me with different instructions that I didn't read closely enough. It says that after 5-7 days transfer into secondary leaving sediment behind. Well I didn't do that cause I'm use to leaving it in primary for around 14 days. Now about 20 days later the wine is still sitting in the primary. Call it forgetfulness, laziness whatever the case may be I think I screwed up. Now could I skip right to step 3, transferring and clearing or did I screw it up to bad?

Also the kit I'm familiar with says to stir the sediment up before adding the clearing agent or it may not clear properly, and the kit I'm making now say no such thing. What do I do? :eek:

I think you'll need to reset your timeframe, but I don't think it's a screwup. Many recipes call for leaving the primary for a few weeks. Kit wines, kit beers, try to move you along sooner because most people are impatient. I think you'll find that it'll be just fine. But you'll want to rack to a secondary and restart your "clock" from there (IMHO). More time really can't hurt. Sorry I can't help with the clearing question, although you'll probably find that the longer you let it set, the clearer it will naturally be.

There is about 1 bubble every 30 seconds going into the airlock, thus the yeast have pretty much done there work and I'm already 3 weeks in (if not more) so would transferring into secondary and waiting 2 more weeks even be necessary? Why couldn't I skip right to adding the clearing agent, and waiting 2 weeks?

There is about 1 bubble every 30 seconds going into the airlock, thus the yeast have pretty much done there work and I'm already 3 weeks in (if not more) so would transferring into secondary and waiting 2 more weeks even be necessary? Why couldn't I skip right to adding the clearing agent, and waiting 2 weeks?

Yes, you want to transfer to a secondary. You will degas if it's in the instructions, THEN add the clearing agents.

Back