Maxing out my mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toast

Reaction score
Just some thoughts...
I'm doing another Imperial Stout later on with a grain bill that's 5 lbs more than my last one...I tried minimizing the amount of water to pound of grain to 1.25 quart per pound of grain...Not too sure I can go any lower than that. I have a 24 lb. grain bill and a 10 gallon water cooler type mash tun. With the above numbers, the calculation for mash water needed was 7.5 gallons... I'm concerned about overflowing rather than thickness of the mash...If I was smart, I would, or should have thought about this a while ago and not when it's zero hour...Wish me luck.:eek:

I've got a 5 gal Rubbermaid tun and the largest batch I can fit into it is 14 lbs. I would think 24 lbs should fit into a 10 gal tun.

It took it like a champ! 8.5 Gallons of mash water with 24lbs of grain. I could probably go another half gallon of water if i needed, but no more than that.

Back