Maximizing Yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just did my first 5 gallon all grain batch today and when I siphoned to the fermentor I came up with a yield of about 4 gallons... Problem is, I was looking to hit 5 gallons. I'm guessing I didn't sparge enough and there was more evaporation than I anticipated. Now I'm left with a lot of empty space in the carboy and I'm worried I'm going to oxidize the beer.

Is it possible to just boil additional water and add to the fermentor to reach final 5 gallons? I've already pitched my yeast so not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't worry about oxidation unless it's staying in there for a long time. I've done a good few 2.5 gallon batches in a carboy and haven't had any issues. The CO2 from the fermentation will push all of the oxygen out of the carboy pretty quick. As for adding water afterwards I don't see it being a problem, I just have never tried it after pitching yeast, but many times just before pitching.

I've also learned over time it's good to sparge a little more (as long as you don't over do it) and boil harder to shrink down rather than end up with less wort than expected.

Its probably good to formulate your recipe to be a little larger as well, you'll probably be losing half a gallon or more in the boil kettle due to hops and break material.

Back