Maximizing yeast cells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
For starters and growing yeast to harvest, what will make more yeast? A large volume of low gravity wort or a smaller volume of high gravity wort? Would you get more yeast cells from a 2000ml at .03 or at .04? I know yeast would consume the .03 faster, but would be more food at .04. This is given that a stirplate is being used.

And, if using a stirplate, any need to dose 02 during fermentation?

A high gravity can stress the yeast and then you will be pitching unhealthy yeast. So stick with a larger volume of lower gravity wort. You may also want to step it up. Using your 2000 ml example, start with 500 ml and let the yeast go to town for 24 hours, then add another 1500 ml. I have gotten a lot of yeast in my starters by doing a step up with the first amount being 25-33% of the total.

+1 on the stirplate; even the homemade HBT-style stirplates are very effective at keeping the yeast jostled around.

Back