Max Percentage of Chocolate Rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMOX

Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking, but I put in an order for an all-grain version of my very first recipe - "Brown Ryed Girl," which is an American Brown Ale with chocolate rye malt. For some unknown reason, I bumped the amount of chocolate rye up to 1 lb., which is 7.41% of the grain bill:

9 lb. 2-row
2.5 lb. Munich
1 lb. chocolate rye
12 oz. C-60
4 oz. roasted barley

I guess I just wanted to really play with the chocolate malt and forefront the rye. But after making my order, I see that the max in batch for chocolate rye is supposed to be 5%.

Any thoughts on what might happen? Do y'all think it'll be too harsh, too astringent?

I can't pick out the rye - the grain bill will be mixed. I could order more grain, but I would need to take it up to Imperial Stout range (1.082 OG) to get the chocolate rye percentage down to 5%.

Rye is dehusked, so it give a pretty smooth roast. I think you'll be fine, but the color/flavor will probably be more in line with a porter than a brown ale. Should be tasty anyway, good luck.

Update - the beer came out pretty acrid. The combination of the chocolate rye and the roasted barley is pretty overwhelming. I hope some extended cold aging will do it some good.

Oh yes...and there's a DMS problem, but that's a gripe for another thread.

[and thanks for the reply, Michael - love your site and your frequent contributions to BBR]

Give it time. I made a RIS back in early March which I just bottled recently. Lots of Roasted barley, chocolate rye, and (regular) chocolate malt. Hydro samples tasted awful before and right after primary fermentation, but by the time I bottled it a couple of weeks ago, it was starting to get very balanced and tasty. I've always noticed that a couple months of aging will take these beers with lots of dark, roasted malts from acrid messes to smooth, chocolaty treats almost without fail.

Also of note, this grainbill looks much more like a stout than anything else. It actually looks quite good, but I wouldn't call it a brown ale. Just think of it as a stout and you'll love it.

Back