Max Ounces of Pellet Hops You Used (Free-Range) Without Pump/Hose Clogs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike123

Reaction score
I've been tossing my hop pellets directly into my Keggle during the boil. No bags or baskets or hop blocking of any kind during the boil, so I am Free Ranging. At the end of the boil I start my March pump and "catch" the hop trub in a 400 micron basket at the return port to the Keggle. After about 5 minutes I have caught enough hop material to route the wort through my plate chiller without any clogging. I have only done this for 3 ounces of hop pellets, and my plumbing ID is 3/8" throughout. My system handled this amount easily, but I wonder how far I can take this....as in for a very hoppy recipe.

My question, to those of you that have a system using a March pump and plumbing with 3/8" ID and no hop filters in your system, what is the largest number of ounces of hop pellets you have been able to recirculate through your pump and plumbing (not through the plate chiller) without clogging?

In the near future I have a NEIPA that has about 6 ounces of hops, so I'll have another data point, but I know people go way beyond 6 ounces. I would love to hear your experience with this.
Thanks in advance for your time, and Cheers!

Back