Max fermentation chamber size with a 4.6cuft mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
I'm planning on using a 4.6cuft Haier mini fridge with a chamber of 44"x24"x34". I'm planning on insulating the bottom & top with 3.5" insulated foam board (R-17.5) sandwiched between 3/8" OSB. The sides will be insulated with 2.5" foam board (R-12.5).

I'd like to be able to cool the chamber to as low as 36deg if possible.

Should I use that mini fridge or start looking for another cooling source?

I have an old R-12 Sanyo with similar dimensions, and I fabricated a ferm chamber large enough to hold 3 fermenters (either three 6 gallon ale pails, or 6 gallon carboys) at a time, I could have gone larger, but my space requirements did not allow it.

FWIW, I can get it down to freezing temps fairly easily (from off [~80° to 32° in about 48 hours give-or-take]). If I keep drop the temps to the mid/low 60°'s, and chill my wort down to approximately the same temps, then there is no issue with the fermentation chamber holding its temps whatsoever.

You can take a look at it HERE.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Any chance you know how many cornies (if any), that fridge can fit? I'm faced with a downsize and am weighing my options for a makeshift kegorator. This was one of the fridges on my list.

Back