Master Vintner Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontTreadOnMe

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope this is not too much of a cop-out but I just ordered a Master Vintner Small Wine Kit (1gal) Cabernet Sauvignon.

I had a couple questions perhaps someone might help with (again this is a 1 gallon kit);

1) I was wondering if there could be any issues of doing my primary fermentation in a 3 gallon carboy?
(supplier thought it might not be a good idea and recommended that I purchase a 2 gal) I have a 3 gal, and several 1 gal carboys. (supplier also said that they do not recommend doing the primary in a 1gal.)

2) I've been reading that Cabernet Sauvignon grapes have a fair amount of tannins but was wondering if a small addition could improve a kit? (I do plan on adding oak cubes in the secondary)

3) Supplier states that these 'small kits' would be fine to age for a couple years at most and I was wondering if adding additional sulfites (to a bottle or two) would extend that?

Thanks,
Terry

1) No, no issue at all. Or you could use a small food grade bucket. I got a couple from our local grocery store's bakery. One held peanut butter, and one held strawberry jelly. They tried to give me a pickle bucket, too, but it really had an awful pickle smell. The buckets were about 3 gallons and were nice to use, especially for fruit wines when I had to stir daily.

2) The oak will add quite a bit of tannin. I wouldn't add more unless it needs it, after it's finished.

3) Yes, adding additional sulfites will help with prolonging the amount of time the wine could age.

Thank you Madam Yooper! I was hoping to use the 3gal for the primary!

This site is awesome!

mmm...pickle wine!

Thanks again, and especially for addressing all three questions!
Terry

Yu could do the primary in a bathtub if you really wanted to, there is no real benefit to do it in a small space, except for the benefit to the carboy seller!

That kit will probably lack a tannins, and the small bag of oak might help, but I generally add some fermenting tannins to all my red wine kits. I do like lots of tannins, though.

You are going to get 4 bottles of wine, maybe 5 if you really stretch it. They won't be around long enough to worry about, trust me. You will probably taste one at 3 months, a second at 6 months, the third at 9 and then drink the rest because that seems to be the just about the time it starts getting good.

Start a 6 gallon kit as soon as you bottle those to "build up your stock"

You can never have too much wine! (disclaimer, you can only have 200 gallons per household by law).

Thanks Doc,

There are no bath tubs in our house, just 2 master bedrooms both with showers in the bathrooms, so I'll have to wait to start any big batches until I get some big equipment LOL.
I also need to try some small batches to determine my varietal preferences. I am not only new to brewing wines and mead's, I, at 58 years old, am new to drinking them.
I'm not even sure if I like 'Big Tannins' or not. This whole journey is a journey of discovery and I prefer to learn through the process of brewing rather than buying, so it could be a long one, but one I'm sure I'll enjoy.

Hit some local wineries and do some tasting. Its a great way to learn about wines, especially if you can visit them in off-peak hours when the servers can talk to you. If they are good, you'll figure out what it is that you like...and don't like.

Back