Master Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balauru_327

Reaction score
First sorry for my bad english, i`m not a perfect englishspoker/writer and i don`t know all your expresion/words/meanings, but i try to adapt.
I need some help from your experience. I wish to make a "anniversary", that will be tasted on 01.MAY.2013. Trough this beer i wish to obtain certainly beer characteristics ( in this order) :
DARKEST COLOUR
CORPULENT
HARSH/ROUGH
DRY
8-12% ABV
MOUTH FOAM (in contact with the toung, the beer become high foamy, something like an Abbey, ex. Hopus )

:es: The HOPS is a wild one, don`t know the IBU, i will put a medium quantity and try some dry hoping, if necesary. The hops was harvest in octomber 2012, and after a few hours receive a cold sleep in freezer.

:es: About YEST, i have no clue, i`m thinking to some Abey/Trapist, but i know that needs a long time ageing, and i got 2 months until May. For a secondary fermentation i found this http://www.keller-mannheim.de/fileadmin/pdf/getraenke_englisch/datasheets/G305internetenglischneu.pdf a champagne yeast, for foam characteristics , it is good/someone tryed ?

:es: For MALT, i was thinking of:
5% Chocolate
10% CaraAroma
10% CaraAmber
75% Munich
and some belgian brown candel sugar for hitting that high ABV.

I wish for good replyes/critics, and i hope that i made myself understand so "don`t hit me" for my poor language/expression, .

Dont use champ yeast what ever you do.
Nottinham would be a good choice if you can get it.
Where are you from by the way?
I will try and post something for you tomorrow.
Ps. I would follow the advice of most people who grow hops and use them for late additions or dry hopping.

Hello, thanks for your reply.
I`m from Romania, Europe. By "nottinham" do you mean Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast?
The hop, is a wild one, don`t know.

Yes, by Nottingha, I meant Danstar Nottingham. It will give you quite a dry beer.
ok,this is how I see it. It should give you a 10% beer. I have used just a little sugar,so it doeant take too long to be drinkable.
23ltrs
7.5kg Munich
1kg cara ambre
0.850kg cara aroma
0.5kg candi sugar
mash it low, at say 65c.
The hops are hard. I dont know how much you have,so I will say add 75gr at 60 minutes and maybe half of that at 20 minutes.

Thanks for your reply,
About Nottingham, i don`t have it in Romania, and i can try to order from other country, but i have Safale S-05 to buy, and can also buy Wyeast liquid yeast, like 1056/1968.
It is not necessary to use that malts, because i can buy others, those i have chosed from other reviews, to give me maximum corpulent, dry and dark colour. Anyway, thanks for your reply, i think is better to chose and English Ale instead of an Abbey/Trapist, because lack of time.
p.s. in BeerSmith, i have 1.115 OG with an 12.6% ABV, with your recipe. Isn`t to much for the yeast?

Hmmm?
S-05 sounds good. Liquid yeast would be better. I am in thailand and we cannot get anything at all here.
If you can get a liquid yeast with high alcohol tolerance then go for it.

No matter what you do two months isn't anywhere near enough time for a ~12% ale to hit any kind of stride. The best thing you could try would be a ~12% wheat wine, maybe... I know wheat ales come together much quicker than typical beers brewed with mostly barley but still.... 12% beer ready in two months doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

I know that a high ABV requires a long age, i will try to make a compromise, to hit a 8%ABV then or lower. No Black Metal Beer, the main symbol is a crow and a fat man, and try to imitate . :D

I know that a high ABV requires a long age, i will try to make a compromise, to hit a 8%ABV then or lower. No Black Metal Beer, the main symbol is a crow and a fat man, and try to imitate . :D

I've got it... How about a black wheat ale?

Here's something I put together in Beersmith:

:rockin: [size=+2]Recipe: Corpulent Darkness[/size] :rockin:
Brewer: PhelanKA7
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.59 gal
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
EStimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 34.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8 lbs                 Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        48.5 %        
6 lbs                 Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)                Grain         2        36.4 %        
8.0 oz                Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         3        3.0 %         
8.0 oz                Carafoam (2.0 SRM)                       Grain         4        3.0 %         
8.0 oz                Wheat, Roasted (425.0 SRM)               Grain         5        3.0 %         
1 lbs                 Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)            Sugar         6        6.1 %         
0.50 oz               Admiral [14.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           7        22.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min            Hop           8        9.3 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min             Hop           9        4.8 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 8.0 oz
Code:
Name              Description                             Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash In           Add 20.38 qt of water at 162.8 F        148.0 F          75 min

10-12% isn't impossible, but it would be harsh from the alcohol if everything went well.

8% would be a lot easier to do. I like the look of your recipe. I think it will turn out ok, but without knowing the hops, you are guessing on how much bitter you will have.

Is nice that Corpulent Darkness, i will try it like an alternative.
After some researches(diastatic-power), and the lack of time i lower the ABV to 8% and the pre-final recipe is this

1.10 lb Caraaroma (203.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.8 %
2.20 lb Caraamber (35.5 SRM) Grain 3 13.6 %
0.77 lb Chocolate Malt (456.9 SRM) Grain 6 4.8 %
6.61 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 40.8 %
1.10 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.8 %
4.41 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.2 %

Wyeast Scotish 1728

Back