mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried it, but lots of threads on it. Just search for bottling in mason jars and read varying opinions. Most feel not a good idea for several reasons.

With as cheap as bottles and caps are, I can't see a good reason to run the risk. Buy and drink some good craft beer (no twist offs!) and clean the bottles.

Mason jars aren't designed to contain a couple atmospheres pressure. Just the vacuum in the small head space.

Go to a bar that serves good beer in bottles, ask the bartender nicely if you can take a 9 or 10 cases of their empties, take them home, clean them, and use them. Free, safe, and built for beer.

While revy's reply is, as always, more in depth and accurate, I've had a washed yeast sample in a mason jar before. Apparently it wasn't completely fermented out and I found some yeasty goodness in my fridge a week later. Popped the lid just enough for co2 to escape.

+1 get beer bottles from a bar.

Ditto all of the above.

Just had one blow in my fridge, and all that was in it was washed yeast slurry harvested from a primary - not even primed beer. Small residual sugars were enough to make it blow (or I got an infection, but highly unlikely). Not designed for pressure.

EDIT: Haha, Erroneous, great minds think alike.

Well,you've heard my story,so take warnin dear brother. Or you'll wind up with a drink in one hand,& a fool on the 'tuther!!!:D

Latest posts

Back