Mashtun Stainless Steel Braid Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laprokop

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum and relatively new to brewing... I was wondering if I can get away with using a 10 foot Stainless Steel Braid in my Mashtun as opposed to a smaller one?

I read somewhere the bigger the better... how true is this and can you actually get too big?

Thanks
Luke

You can use a bigger one, but it isn't really any better than just using a standard sink or toilet supply line. You have to keep in mind that a stainless braid isn't like a manifold. Liquid doesn't travel the length of the braid to exit at the valve. Most of the liquid enters the braid at the point nearest the valve, so it really acts more like a screen than a manifold system. So a longer braid is just longer and more expensive, not necessarily better.

you can use a bigger one, but it isn't really any better than just using a standard sink or toilet supply line. You have to keep in mind that a stainless braid isn't like a manifold. Liquid doesn't travel the length of the braid to exit at the valve. Most of the liquid enters the braid at the point nearest the valve, so it really acts more like a screen than a manifold system. So a longer braid is just longer and more expensive, not necessarily better.

+1

I've found that these SS screen tubes work nicely. Only downside to them is that the screen is a little too wide and some of the finer grains can make it through untill the grain bed gets really tight. But if you send the running through a grain bag before going into the kettle, it catches it all.

Latest posts

Back