Mashtun Jacket Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlchemyBrewing

Reaction score
I am working on upgrading my system and need a way to insulate my mashtun. Any thoughts on this or alternatives. I don't like the idea of using a water heater jacket since it is pretty messy. Does anyone know what material Brew Tree used in their jackets? Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

I wrote a message and then deleted it because I wasn't sure what you had in mind when you said "water heater jacket".

I see those in two forms... one is fiberglass-looking insulation and the other is a what I had originally suggested in the response that I deleted, which is "reflectix" insulation. Looks like silver bubblewrap.

f0938e52-1443-49c3-bdc7-3a2747eb151a_300.jpg

insulation_heu9.jpg

I currently use an old sleeping bag... but recently looked at that foil bubble wrap stuff.
for right now sleeping bag is working (has been for a long time). I might pick up some of that wrap when I do my foam box Air Conditioner vent powered, frozen water bottle fermentation chiller for hot SC summer brewing. Might justify a whole roll at that point.

i havent tried it yet, but i like the idea of the reflectrix material, as you can wrap as much as you want around the tun, and it does not absorb moisture like other insulation materials

If you're not direct firing it... I use polyurethane foam insulation with a vinyl face from McMaster. It's 1" think and has worked very well so far.

Somebody on here bought a piece of 1" insulation and sealed it against his MLT with duct tape. It wasn't regular fiberglass insulation though, something that frayed and came apart more easily. It sounds like a mess but turned out really well. I can't remember who it was, but there was a whole thread on the stuff he used. Maybe someone else can help.

What thickness are you using. I like the looks of this stuff.

1/2"

Was that the right link? Nothing on that page is rated for temps above 200*F.

Third page in the section, item #9349K22.

* Temperature Range: Uncoated Plain Back, -20° to +220° F; Uncoated Adhesive Backed, +20° to +180° F; Fiberglass Faced, -297° to +220° F
* Heat Flow Rate (K-factor): 0.27 Btu/hr. x in./sq. ft. @75° F
* Density: 3-6 lbs./cu. ft.
* Color: Uncoated, black; Fiberglass Faced, black with silver jacket

Wrap this foam insulation around ducts and large diameter pipes—it's moisture resistant and extremely flexible and soft. Insulation is made of closed-cell elastomeric Buna-N/PVC foam. Cut with a knife. Meets ASTM E84 25/50 for flame and smoke. Size is 36" x 48", unless noted.

The OP really needs to chime in about the desire to direct fire it or not. Huge difference in "best" materials there.

agreed...I don't direct fire with that jacket on there, I take it off when I am raising the temp to 170 or so and then I fold up the bottom when collecting the runnings as the bottom rim of the keg is so hot it would probably ignite the canvass

Sorry all, you respond really fast. I would probably not use it on direct fire. With out an insulation source I am used to having to fire on and off to try and maintain temps so I am a little indecisive. Where did you get the canvas jacket? I would think that something that goes on and off easy would be important. Thanks a ton.
Jonathan

I don't direct fire my MLT and wanted better performing insulation than the refletix stuff I see a lot of people use. I found that the 2' x 4' sheets of 1/2" polystyrene insulation at Home Depot are flexible enough to be wrapped around a keg(and they are real cheap, about $2 ea.). I used 2 layers on mine and covered the whole thing in duct tape. It seems to work pretty well since I find that the mash temp drops about 2 degrees in an hour. That's the same temp drop I was getting when I mashed in a cooler.

I use a ginormous old beach towel, folded in thirds so it's the right height for my kettle, wrapped around the kettle, then held in place by one of those monster rubber bands (the ones big enough to go around a trash can). It's fairly ghetto but it works and is super easy to install/remove. Machine-washable!

Wouldn't direct-fire it though. I often mash on an electric stove so it's not much of an issue.

I really like what Bobby M did but I have a tippy-dump option on a B3 rig making for a clearance problem. So, I'm thinking I'll make mine removable. I'll install after I get to temp and remove when I dump grains. I'm hoping for more efficiency than the thin reflectix, bubble stuff.

I just bought a Keg Koozy to insulate my Mash Tun. I bought mine without the Logo. I use a RIMS, so I do not direct fire. According to the manufacturer, it should work perfectly. It fits snug and has a zipper for easy installation and removal.

koozy_photo_web.png

Back