Mashing with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
I understand that brewers should be restrained with their stirring of the mash to avoid hot-side aeration. Couldn't you just flush out your tun with C02 and then go to town with the mash paddle?

I would love to build some kind of automatic agitator ( similar to the the one a laundry washing machine) to really get stable mash temps and hopefully boost my extract efficiency. Anyone built anything of this sort?

vasie said:
I understand that brewers should be restrained with their stirring of the mash to avoid hot-side aeration.
Where are you getting this information? I have always been under the impression that HSA was a problem post-boil, not during the mash, since the boil shortly after mashing will drive out all oxygen. I seem to recall another thread proposing an air-free mash tun not very long ago where this conclusion was reached.

Well considering if HSA deals with oxidation of sugars, I'd say that it's important while mashing. If not, go to town.

SuperiorBrew said:

Hey thanks for posting that article, SB. That was interesting for its discussion of commercial brewing as well as the pointers for home brewers. I'm going to try that kinder, gentler, mash in procedure next time.

billtzk said:
Hey thanks for posting that article, SB. That was interesting for its discussion of commercial brewing as well as the pointers for home brewers. I'm going to try that kinder, gentler, mash in procedure next time.

I just don't think HSA 'worries' are necessary for the homebrewer. Mr. Wizard might think so, but others do not.

Should you purposely splash the crap out of hot wort? no. do you need to treat it like a baby? not really.

ahhhh the old hsa debate. file this one with aluminum and let the debate rage on

HSA? Oops, my fingers didn't type what I was thinking. My concern was with oxidation in general. Sorry to point this discussion in the wrong direction.

Back